Chapter 27: Key To My Heart

*Dakota’s POV*

I had the biggest migraine I ever thought possible. So I only had three cups of beer, just three, and I had a killer headache and I felt too sick to move. The sunlight pouring from my window made my eyelids burn and my headache even worse. I threw the pillow over my head, trying to make myself sleep.

I could hear a soft knock on my front door. I decided to ignore it. It didn’t stop the visitor, the door opened and I heard a British accent speak up. “Dakota?”

“What?” I muffled.

Each footstep the person took was light. My bed creaked some from under the weight. “Are you okay?” Louis ask.

“I have a hangover… and I feel sick to my stomach.” I said. “I’m never drinking again.”

I felt him rest a hand on my lower side, rubbing in a way that felt good but only to express his sympathy. “Want some Advil?”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“I hate taking medicine.” I explained.

“Another thing we have in common. What’dya know?” Louis said, I could hear the smile in his voice. He took his hand off my side. “How about I go and get some food? It’ll help your stomach.”

He started to rise. I didn’t know what it was that caused me to do this, but I rose up from where I was sitting and grabbed his wrist to keep him from leaving. He looked back, shocked by my action. “Don’t go.” I whispered. “I just need some sleep, that’s all.”

I looked up at him. He was about to question me, but decided against it. I let go of his wrist and he sat back down, laying down on top of the covers on his back. He smiled a little at me, resting his hands on his stomach. I laid back down, resting my forehead on the side of his shoulder. He didn’t move and I shut my eyes, glad to have the light from pouring into my eyelids. It didn’t take long for me to relax against him and quickly fall asleep.

*Louis’s POV*

I knew Dakota was asleep judging from her deep breathing. She’s always been able to do that though, as far as making herself fall asleep. As long as she was comfortable, she could sleep anywhere. But still, half of her head was off her pillow and I knew my shoulder wasn’t the softest thing to press your face against. I knew, because Eleanor has told me before.

I gently moved her hand that was resting on my upper arm, maneuvering myself to where I slid my arm under Dakota’s head without trying to wake her up. A soft groaned left her lips as she muttered something and dug her head in the crook of my neck and put an arm over my side, causing me to be unable to lay on my back again. I reached up and brushed her hair back before resting my cheek on her.

I didn’t want to let this moment slip, because I knew this could be the only time this would happen. I didn’t know what would become of us, but I wanted this to last. I wanted so much more, but I knew I couldn’t force her in a situation. I wanted to make her love me, not hate me.

I just had to keep trying.

*Dakota’s POV*

I woke up, feeling a lot more refreshed. My headache was gone and my stomach has settled, though now it was growling. I felt kind of mushed and I soon figured out why. I was pulled to Louis’s chest, a position I was not expecting to wake up to. I felt Louis’s chest slowly rise, indicating he was sleeping. I felt myself swallow. Okay, I may have told him that I wanted him to stay because I wanted to sleep, but I wasn’t expecting him to stay the whole time. He could’ve left whenever I fell asleep.