Chapter 20: Cold as Snow

*Dakota’s POV*

Ah, Christmas, such a dull time of the year for me. I was already sick of the church next door playing nothing but carols all week. I sat outside in the back yard, packing snowballs and throwing them at my dog as he ran back and forth excitedly, trying to catch them. It was cold outside, but I didn’t care. My dad was gone on a Christmas date with Suzy. Kariann was gone to a Christmas Eve dinner with her family. Even Bonnie. Ugh, I seriously needed more friends. Or at least a family that stuck together.

Then I remembered.

It was Louis’s birthday. I grinned, getting out my phone. I had to time this perfectly…

*Eleanor’s POV*

Christmas Eve, such a beautiful time of year. It was also Louis’s birthday. We were walking together hand in hand at a park in London. It was almost midnight, so dark outside, yet so bright from the lights. It really was a beautiful night here. We ended up in front of the huge Christmas tree in the middle of the park. A group of singers were off to the side, singing carols. “Oh…” Louis said, grinning before letting go of my hand to run over there next to the group.

I couldn’t help but laugh as he started to sing with the goofiest looks on his face. I loved the child side of him. It was so adorable and it always brought a smile on my face. He came running back over, picking me up, swinging me around, and continuing to sing. He set me down, letting the song fade from his lips as he bent down, ready to kiss me.

Only his phone started ringing. Louis blinked, pulling back to see who was calling so late. I saw it. The look on his face changed into a soft smile on his face as he smiled. I already knew who was calling. I didn’t know how she did it. Dakota. She brought out the mature side of Louis out. He smiled down at the snow at his feet, kicking some of his as he spoke through the phone. It was so rare to see this side of him, yet she brought it out so easily.

He looked on his phone, which I noticed it was 11:59. “Damn, you timed that perfectly.” Louis said, grinning some as he continued to speak. “Thanks.”

He looked over at me. “Yeah, I’m with Eleanor.” He held out his phone to me. “She wants to talk to you.”

I took the phone. We talked all the time, why would she want to talk now. “Yes?” I asked.

“Hey!” I heard her say excitedly. “Well, it’s still Christmas Eve here, but I’m pretty sure it’s past midnight there… I just wanted to say Merry Christmas, or happy holidays, whatever floats your boat.”

A smile spreads across my face. It was so easy for me to be jealous of what she can do, but I can bring myself to be mad at her. She and Louis have been through so much together. It made me wonder where I put myself. I could see the look on Louis’s face, the love he held for that girl, yet he was so oblivious to his feelings that it only hurt me worse that he didn’t know.

“Merry Christmas to you too.” I said. “And I miss you.”

She was quick to agree. “Yeah, I miss all of you guys like crazy. Mostly you, though. You’re like the older sister I’ve never had.”

The words made my own expression soften. Seriously, it was so hard for me to bring myself to hate her when all I could do was love her. “I guess I better let you go.” Dakota said, sighing. “I just got lonely so I called to say happy birthday to Louis and Merry Christmas to you.”

“Are you by yourself?” I asked.

“Yup.”

“What about family?” I asked.