Ch 1: That Crossroad, Too Inevitable

TREVOR~

Cold sweat drips down my sideburns to the frames of my cheekbones, and falls off my chin. My body freezes, my mind swirls in turmoil as I blankly stare at my computer screen, perplexed. I’m watching a clip on Youtube posted by Rock Forever Magazine, and my eyes are fixed on the woman being interviewed.

“Congratulations, by the way! You’re one of the lucky bands to sign an agreement with the big record label, Fearless Records! Tell me, how’s the music business so far?”

“Great, great. The people are very business-y but are really good and friendly companions. We’ve only been working with our record label in a timespan of half a year and I’m hoping we’ll make a pretty good team.”

She stands like a person who can never be bent, like she's obtained the properties of every billionaire in every corner of the world, like she’s got everything she could ever wish for in front of her.

“Your newest single is really a huge hit! What or who was your inspiration in making your song, A Million Breakdowns?”

“Oh, that would be for the people back in middle school. I always tried to stand up for those who get bullied, since, y’know, bullying is unacceptable.”

Beside her is a pale and tall boy with olive eyes, smiling as triumphantly as she does. She giggles as her blonde hair sweeps across the boy’s fair face, revealing a warm and innocent laugh. She wears sunglasses that cover her eyes and a beanie that complements her spiky and choppy hairstyle.

“What are your hopes in the future?”

“Hmmm, saving a generation of the kids through music.”

“Just to let the potential fans know, where did your band start, and are there any supporters in your hometown?”

“Oh yeah, our band was formed in the peaceful place of Arlington, Virginia. I’m sure we’ve got supporters there, including the friends we had in Castleburn High.”

Like a match struck in the dark, the enigma of the familiar feeling I had throughout the video transits from blurry to transparent. Virginia and Castleburn High School. Her facial features and the recognizable laugh. The similar dream of breaking into the music industry.

“What do you wish to tell our fans and our viewers before we finish the interview?”

She takes off her sunglasses finally revealing hazel eyes and my muscles tense up at the confirmation of the identity. The boy and the girl wave cheerfully at the camera.

“On behalf of the other members of Fame Alyconia, please watch out for our second studio album, title’s to be announced really soon!”

“And yeah, keep fanning, keep loving, keep supporting. We won’t be here without you guys, much love, mwuah!”

The video turns into a panel of plain black as I stand there, digesting everything I saw in the last five minutes. She’s signed into Fearless Records and is on her way to fame. It’s her, but it can’t be. She’s become even more popular than I could’ve ever imagined. 

That vaguely familiar figure... who is she?

Kailey.

Kailey Caroline Poxlier.

                                                              ******

As rage boils inside of me, I throw my slingbag in utter disgust after entering home. I had another argument with our band manager like usual. Trevor the hothead, Trevor the ill-tempered, Trevor the grouchy, they say. How dare they think so low of me?