Ch 13.1: The Road To Fame, Finally

TREVOR~

“Poxlier’s late. Again.” Brent enters the soundproof room and closes it with a moderate slam. He exhales loudly, one so loud that it made his exasperation obvious. He does his habit of folding his arms in front of him and looks us in the eye one by one, begging for an answer. “I suspect you guys are making her feel uncomfortable? Well?”

I don't understand. Brent is supposed to be mad at Kailey, not us.

”We went with every suggestion she said.” Xavier, whilst holding his guitar, points to me. “Only this dickhead Trevor won’t stop scowling at her.”

“I do not!” I scoff defensively.

It's a nightmare come true in which I cannot do anything about it now. I have already accepted the fact that this song is ours only formally. Kailey might have done improvements, err, major alterations, but I have been unwillingly going with the flow just to get this over with.

“You may think you don’t, but temper problems are already a part of your personality that you frown without you knowing it,” Zephyr says as he unwinds his microphone’s chord. “Unforgivable.”

I would’ve answered him back; I might have even punched him straight in the face for butting in, but the truth in his statement pricked me that I fall silent. True, I guess by the time I reach thirty my face could be mistaken for a crumpled tin foil.

“Listen, Radburn.” Brent looks at me straight in the eye. “I don’t want you in bad terms with Poxlier. I’m working with our record label for a music video for The Aftermath, which of course, features her.”

“No way!”

“Poxlier and us in a music vid? Sweet!”

“That is, if she agrees,” Brent holds a hand up to quiet us down. “Our website just announced to the public about the song featuring her and apparently got the fans anticipating for the new album,” he adds. “It even got the fans of Flame Alyconia waiting for it. They listen to The Aftermath, they checkout for other songs in our album--fair game. Our biggest challenge here is making Flame Alyconia’s fans enjoy our songs or we’ll be blowing this opportunity.”

I don’t know what to think about this. Back in Castleburn, I wanted that night to end so I wouldn’t have to see her ever again. However, fate has played his cruel games at me. I'm stuck doing a song with her a month after the encounter. And just as we are nearly finishing the song, the music video idea sprouts and everyone’s anticipating it. Well, everyone but me. What’s next, an album-promoting tour with the showboating peacocks?

“If all goes well, I’ll do the best I can to get us in a road show with them.”

Aw, shit. I just heard the worst case coming from Mr. Band Manager himself. I just fell into a tomenting pit that I won't be able to get out of easily. Nothing could ever compare to how miserable I feel right now. I give a loud exhale, trying to calm myself. Brent hears my sigh, and I give him a cold look, cursing him in my head.

A small boy knocks on our door and peeks his head in. “Sir, Kailey just arrived and is in the next room starting her vocal warm ups with Coach Hazel.”

Brent gives him a wave and the boy leaves.

“Bollman, join vocal warm ups.”

“Yes, Brent.”

“You too, Radburn.”

“But I don’t--”

“Go!”