Ch 28.1: Jane Quinn, An Illusion Or A Delusion?

KAILEY~

I am racing against my own heartbeat.

All I hear is my own heavy breathing. Aside from that, I hear nothing else. I am bathing in my own sweat, my dry throat aching for the sensation of cold water. I am tired and my muscles are sore but I couldn’t bring myself to halt. I am chasing a raven-haired guy, who is also chasing a redhead.

I have always feared redheads.

The sky turns into a panel of dark gray, and it slowly begins to drizzle. The human figure of the black-haired boy running away from me decelerates, so I took the opportunity and increase my pace.

I stretch both of my arms in hopes to reach for him. With every stride, I draw closer to him, wishing to embrace his body so he wouldn’t flee from my hold.

My fingers twitch for every attempted grasp. Every failure to grab hold of his shirt makes me want to wail in frustration. I pity my upper limbs for its fruitless effort to stretch further to the point when tendon pain wells up in my joints. Anytime soon, I’m about to collapse.

I expected him to run faster as the gap between us gets narrower. However, he suddenly stops and I crash onto his back.

I give him a tight squeeze, my eyes trying hard not to let go of the tears I’ve been suppressing.

“Don’t run away from me, please.”

However, he stands still like a sturdy tree and doesn’t look my way. The redhead he was chasing had stopped in front of him, and their gazes fixed onto each other. I am at a loss. A third wheel.

“Trevor, Jane is fake.” I pull the fabric of his shirt, trying to divert his focus to me. “Stay away from the redhead.”

“She’s Jane,” he murmurs.

The redhead shifts, clearly irked at the occurrences. “My name is Bethany. Stop mistaking me for someone else, filthy rockstars.”

I hear Trevor grit his teeth.

This is what I feared all along. Somewhere beneath the shadows lingers the premonition that someday, Trevor will know about the truth. Only, the beans were spilled too soon.

“Kailey, you’ve been fooling me the whole time? And dragged an innocent person with it?”

I fall silent, still clinging onto his shirt, not wanting to let go, not wanting to speak.

“I’m so sorry, Trevor.”

“You pretentious person!” His voice thunders, and my heart leaps out of my chest from surprise.

Never has he intimidated me this way.

He fixes his eyes on mine. They are scorching like the fires of hell, wanting to consume in its flames. “How dare you play a nasty trick on me? Who the fuck’s Jane?!” His fury sends a chill down my spine.

My grip on his shirt loosens and I stumble to the ground. Everything... everything I have always wanted gone in a split second, in a roar of a guitarist, in the blink of an eye, in a fraction of a heartbeat. I am falling, uncertain to where I’ll hit my head into.

I awaken with a jolt.

Damn, what a nightmare.

My heart kept throbbing as my eyes search the hotel room. Brynn and Keana’s soiled clothes lay on the floor like snake skin. My best friend is sitting on the floor, playing a video game by herself and eating a bag of chips.