Ch 8: Hazy Visions, Cluttered Thoughts

KAILEY~

I am caught in the whirling motion of the people and the pounding of heads to the constant thump of the R&B music. I raise my fists in the air and sway my hips abruptly, imitating the intoxicated associates on the dance floor. From the night sky fall diamonds of various colors that twinkle along the flash of the disco lights. I bump into chests, butts and limbs of strangers but I couldn’t care less. All night parties such as this comes only once in a blue moon.

The effects of the strong liquor August handed me are kicking in–the muscle soreness, the distorted faces of people and the keen urge to sleep on the green carpets I’ve been trampling on.

“My, Miss Poxlier, didn’t know you could spice up the dance floor,” someone whispers in my ear, his hands making their way to hold me by the waist. The person’s lips, dipped in the scent of wine, tickles my earlobes that I reflexively shove him away with my elbow.

I lost him in the pool of people and I didn’t even get to know his identity. But why care about him now when my vision starts to get hazier and hazier by the second? I head for a pole to give it a tight embrace as I balance myself on the sticks of my shoes and steady my spinning vision. Wow, the pole’s circumference matches my arm span precisely. I grin; the corners of my mouth reaches my ears, thinking that we're meant together. As if my arms are fabricated only for the pole. If this thing's for me then I won't let go of this cold fat shaft of metal. Damn, I feel so comfortable just by hugging it that I can't help but giggle.

Bodies push me in attempt to separate me from my pole. I want to scream 'get your own poles!' at them but my speech is slurred. Instead, I lean my forehead on the smooth cylinder and cling to it like a sick person holding onto dear life. No, pole. I won't let you go.

The rhythm suddenly changes to a slow mellow song. I squint, through my blurred vision, to get a clear view of the crowd. They sway in pairs under colorful stars while cuddled together dearly, copying the intimacy between me and the pole.

“You fuckin’ jealous people,” I grumble under the icy cold shivers of the night breeze.

I try to copy the flow of the people's movements but my pole is being so lifeless and static. Hell, it won’t even sway! In dismay, I left it standing there, stripping it off of my warm embrace. Serves him right.

     So here we are face to face and heart to heart

     I want you to know we will never be apart

I feel a cold chill on my spine as the words find their way from my ear to my senses. Realizing what the clutch of words mean, I freak out. Oh, shit. I need to get out of here. 

     When I look into your eyes

     I can see how much I love you..

I hate these nasty romantic songs.

I push my way through the jungle of people, hoping to bump into somebody who could save me. I see a faint image of a familiar figure to my east. Tall, pale and holding a wine cup, I can immediately tell that he's one I'm close acquiantances with. I dash to him in hopes that he’d take me away from this mental torture.

“Oliver!” I call out but he doesn’t face my direction. Hell, he won't even move.

“Oliver!” I scream again. “Oliver! Oli!”

Man, what a jerk. I stomp angrily as I approach him, but stride gingerly to avoid breaking my ankles from the heels’ torment.

“Oli--”