Ch 37: Fame, Lovelife, And Career

TREVOR~

Thunder rolls from the east and raindrops begin to fall. The sky turns into a hideous greyscale painting as lightning flashes across the sky. The view from here is lonely. Though this environment is the type that could dampen one’s mood, I’m only slightly affected. I’ve received a phone call from Kailey just an hour ago. Hearing her voice first thing in the morning makes my day, and not even the melancholic rain could ruin it.

This scene reminds me of some time back in high school, back when Kailey came knocking on my house’s door, all wet and soaked up, and dragged me outside to enjoy the downpour. Funny how I just enjoyed that moment while it lasted, not realizing that I’d actually fall for her someday.

The gloomy morning is supposed to be silent, only the noise of the pelting rain should be heard, but a bandmate’s voice disturbs the mood.

“Trevor! Trevor where the fuck are you? You’ve got some explaining to do!”

Sigh. Rick, as usual. And yet, he shouts so loudly as if he’s the one who owns the house.

“What’s this I found under your couch?!”

Judging from his tone, he must be pissed off. I think of all the possible things he could find under my couch—piano sheets, guitar tabs, open envelops from the mail, some magazines...

Magazines!

Dammit! Why Rick, of all people?!

Guilt had me wasting no time. I dash from my porch to my living room where I assume the couch Rick is referring to is located. I’m not wrong. I see our bassist whooshing my treasured magazine back and forth in the air with an expression I cannot fathom. He sounded angry for a moment back there, but he’s showing a half-smile, half-frown and he had his eyebrows furrowed.

“You annoying prick!” I yell, my eyes focused on the magazine. “Give it back!”

“What do you mean give it back?” He equals my thunderous voice. “This magazine is mine! See? I even wrote my name on the second page! I’ve been looking for it for ages!”

Ah, yes. I did steal it from him. Why wouldn’t I? Post Hardcore Fever released only a few copies of the issue with Kailey as the covergirl. It was actually a fuckin’ limited edition issue. I had to take desperate measures.

“Yeah, whatever! The magazine’s my possession now!” I reply angrily, even if I could sense Rick trying hard not to laugh his words. Putting my agility to the test, I quickly paced forward and snatch the magazine from his hand. Thankfully, no page got ripped off.

“Dude! Give it back!” he shouts and runs towards me. He’s successful in his attempt to pin me to the floor, since I was too busy checking the magazine for damages.

“No!” I shout at Rick’s ear. “Who told you to search underneath my couch anyway?!”

“Because I felt that something that belongs to me in there! Give it back you thief!”

I hold the magazine closer to my chest. There’s no way I’m letting go of something that took me so long to search inside a vault full of porn magazines. There’s no way I could ever forgive Rick for mixing Kailey’s decent photo along those of women who barely have anything to cover their bodies.

“Give it back!”

“Never!”

“Give in back!”

“No!”

“Dammit, man. Can’t I get a good rest in your place for once, Trevor?” Xavier peeps from upstairs through the hand rail’s bars, scratching his head and rapidly blinking his eyes to adjust to the light. “And Trevor? I saw you stole that magazine. I caught you red handed but I didn’t stop you because that was the time I knew you were missing Poxy. Now that you two are finally dating, you might as well give Rick the magazine back. Have pity on the guy who can’t get a girlfriend. At least give him the chance to fantasize women in pictures.”