Ch 5: Stairway To Heaven, I'll Never Make It

TREVOR~ 

The tremor of the deafening slam left me shaken. I stand in complete shock, abashed and uncomfortable. It takes me a while to internalize everything – the snubbing, the awkward stare, the frown, then the door slam – all done by a single person in just several minutes.

Five years. It has been five years since we last heard from each other. Five years of sacrifice has passed for the sake of our dreams. It took five years for us to grow up into the individuals we are today. It has been five years since the last opportunity to start a friendly conversation and it just plunges to this? Do I even deserve this?

Someone pushes his fist against my shoulder blade, and by intuition, I assume it is Rick. “Look, dude. I’m awfully sorry for accidentally soaking your t-shirt in the juice bowl, but you don’t have to let out all your fury on that door.”

I want to tell him that I'm not concerned about the shirt right now. I felt the need to patch things up with Kailey before this gets worse. Things irrelevant to these series of unwelcome treatment doesn't concern me right now, so I make no arguments.

Sighing to release the tension building up in me, I grumble. “It wasn’t me. It was the wind.”

“Aw, goddamn, now why would there be wind inside the gym?” He laughs out loud, releasing a turbulence of wind from that burrow of a mouth. “Seriously, dude. I can’t tell if you’re trying to make me laugh or if you’re just one hell of an idiot.”

All of a sudden Flame Alyconia’s petite drummer scurries out of the girl’s dressing room with an expression of worry and fear. Their lead singer must’ve caused a ruckus in the room, and it’s most likely my fault. If it’s just not a sin for a guy to enter that room, I would have already confronted Kailey.

“What’s with all the commotion here?” A booming voice loud enough to make me and Rick jump comes from behind. “Did you guys just scare Keana?” Xavier questions, hinting that he has caught a glimpse of Keana’s face the moment she stepped out of their dressing room.

“No, I didn’t!” I retort guiltily. I may not be the one who scared her, but I am certain I’m the root of everything. I’m experiencing that pain-in-the-gut-feeling once more but this time it’s not because of envy, but because of my unanswered questions.

What the damn fuck is her problem? Why would she act so cold towards me all of a sudden? Questions echo at the back of my head and just won’t fade away. My blood heats up from infuriation; I could've already punched a wall if there isn't any person around to witness it.

“Tone down your voice, hothead,” Xavier reprimands, giving me a disgusted look. “I’ve brought spare clothes. Cool down, will ya?”

No matter how much I wish to tell them that I don’t care about the shirt anymore as I have other things I am concerned about, I just can’t bring myself to tell them that I pissed an international music icon. He throws me a black shirt that has prints of several cats clinging on the garment. I flip it over to see the front with a text in shouty capitals. It read: I’M A PUSSY MAGNET.

“You expect me to wear this!?”

“Well what are ya, a priest? It’s just photos of pussies that seem to be clinging onto the shirt, ya green-minded asshole.”

Nathan, who seems to be enjoying our conversation, steps out of the dressing room. “Look, Xavier, Trevor isn’t that type of guy. That shirt will look well on Rick,” he suggests and points to our bassist, who just gave me an irritating lopsided smile. 

Rick tries to hide his laughter and continues to flash that teasing smile that I got pissed by his face. I wear the piece of clothing to satisfy the others and to wipe away Rick’s bothersome look.