Ch 6: Love, And Its Opposite Pole Called Hate

KAILEY~             

The microphone echoes the resonance of my loud panting in attempt to catch my breath. I am exhausted from all the wild and energetic stunts I just exhibted for the audience. I could've laid down flat on my back onstage instantly due to fatigue, but seeing the audience being restless and cheering as loud as they could, I gather all the energy remaining in my systems and shout in full burst of energy, "Thank you Castleburn High and may we all have a fuckin' good night!" 

I raise my microphone in the air as they give us a louder applause. The moment I step on the rockstar's podium I am a different person. The stage is my life; the fans are the air I breathe. I take one last glance at the people and wave to them, thankful for their never ending support and love.

Returning backstage, my band is greeted by our clubmates and fellow performers congratulating us for doing a spectacular performance. They tell us that they won’t have to bother about inducing the punk rock feeling for the audience anymore since we had it covered.

In the midst of all the greetings, Keana exclaims in surprise the instant she sees her boyfriend Connor leaning on the backstage door.

“Connor! You came!” She rushes to his arms that they almost stumbled. “I thought you said you couldn’t make it!”

Connor held her by the hips, raises her up and twirls her around the air. “I wouldn’t dare miss your performance, baby,” he says as he pecks her lips. “I was scared to death ‘cause I thought the traffic will hold me off forever.”

The glint from Keana's eyes gives a clue of how smitten she is. A simple yet thoughtful effort from a guy like that would sweep any girl off her feet. Connor, if I'm not mistaken, is a painter and today is the final day of his artwork exhibits. He probably left his art convention early just to drive to Virginia.

“My, my, you’re quite the rockstar, Oli. You never fail to amaze me,” says a sexy voice from behind. I turn to see the hot supermodel of the club, Trace, in a red slim dress that exposes her curves and unconsciously doing a sexy walk. I examine her from head to toe, captivated by her stunning features--stunning sapphire eyes, luscious ruby lips and brunette beauty. Man, what I’d give up for a curvy body and a gorgeous face like that. 

Oliver also follows the voice like an excited puppy. “Trace!” He flashes his one-of-a-kind killer smile at her and hands me his guitar bag. He quickly pulls his beanie and places it on me, covering half of my head including my eyes.

“Oliver, what the--?”

“Ciao, Kayli!”

“What language is that?!”

He dashes off. Feeling left out and forgotten all of a sudden, I eavesdrop at the couple. Oliver mentions being unable to keep her eyes off her while performing onstage while Trace tells him how lucky she is to be dating him when he’s got tons of girls head over heels for him.

I feel awful for listening at their conversation, but what on Earth am I supposed to do next? The performance just finished; Atlantica’s currently performing; I can’t find Brynn; and I’m alone in this dull space filled with nothing but band equipment and a couple of lovebirds in front of me. August and Terence probably stormed off to their girlfriends as well.

It sucks to be lonely. Yes, I’m the only one in my band who isn’t in a relationship. Even Brynn has her lover too. After that devastating experience with Trevor, I find myself unable to be affectionate with the opposite gender. I did have a boyfriend, Steuart, after that tragedy, but after a year or so we grew apart. He tells me that I focus on my career a lot, that I tour too much and that I just can't make time for the two of us. Additionally, he can’t deal with long distance relationships because he has trust issues.