Ch 35: The Serenade Of The Rockstars

TREVOR~

I take the flight of steps that leads to my front door. For the thousandth time, I hold the plastic bag I'm carrying to my lamppost and re-check its inside. Kailey asked me to buy a few ingredients she needed to make dinner by which I immediately obeyed. I made sure I bought all the things she needs. For a punkish screaming vocalist, she sure knows how to make mouth-watering dishes. And, no matter how much she tells me that she's no expert at cooking, she’ll always be the best chef for me. And I want her to cook for me for like, eternity.

I laugh inwardly.

I know it’s quite impossible due to our careers. Kailey and I are travelling the world, making music, performing live, doing interviews and acoustic sessions. For a large fraction of a year, we are separated by different time zones, different cities, different altitudes.

Distance kills me. I fear tomorrow when she leaves my home for tour, ‘cause when she returns to California in three weeks, I’ll be somewhere in UK with my band. I just hope she doesn’t get too depressed with this as I am. I try to keep it cool, showing her no sighs that my heart's faltering 'cause of the melancholy we'll be facing soon. I just don't know if she's also pretending to be chill with it or that she's one who could handle a long distance relationship coolly.

A set of notes plays on the piano inside my home. It could be no other than Kailey playing my treasured instrument while waiting for me to arrive. I couldn’t recognize the piece though. Is she writing a new song?

I open the door as quietly as I could, then curse myself for forgetting to put oil on the hinges. She instantly stirs from her position and changes her playing to something more mellow, louder and more fast-paced compared to the recent piece’s tune. Now I recognize the piece—Only Hope, by Mandy Moore.

“What took you so long, Trev?” she asks in her rather angelic voice, like she's been waiting for me since forever.

“I got attacked by fans again.” I lift the hemline of my polo shirt to show a ripped part of my clothing. “Somebody clawed me.”

“Clawed?” She chuckles at the verb. “Are they lobsters or something?”

“Yeah, I guess you could say that. The girl had long fingernails and pulled me by my shirt.” I scowl at the memory of a wild fan attack. "She ruined my only Megadeth shirt."

“God, Trevor,” she chuckles again. “You’re a bitch magnet.”

“Can’t I just be a Kailey magnet? I’ll be happier that way.”

A cheery laugh escapes her and the beautiful sound mixes with the melodic tune of the piano. I sit beside her and lean on her shoulder, immersing myself in the serene melody. Kailey, me, and music—the best trio defining my dreams.

While watching her hands working their way gracefully over the piano keys, I ask, "Say, who taught you the piano?"

"Oliver," she says proudly.

"Ugh, that guy," I grunt, imagining him sitting beside Kailey, holding the top her hands and guiding them while they enjoy a melody together. Now I just wish I'm the one who taught her.

"Trevor," she utters and a smile plays across her face. "You're so cute when you're jealous."

"I'm not jealous," I hiss, trying to erase any ounce of jealousy in my voice. "I just don't have a good feeling about that guy."

"Trev, don't. He's my bandmate and I owe him so much." She pauses her playing, probably because she was disturbed, but then she continues. "He's a good guy."

"Yeah," I snort. "Zephyr's my bandmate and he's a good guy," I sarcastically say. She parts her lips to speak, but I hold a hand up to cut her off. I just don't feel like talking to that Oliver guy. “What’s the piece you were playing a while ago before this?”