Ch 29: Discovery, After Months Of Longing

TREVOR~

Rick starts singing Demons by Imagine Dragons in an off-tune again. I plug in my earphones and put my music player’s volume high enough to overpower Rick’s noise. The volume is so loud enough that it could bust my eardrums.

The idea of damaging my ears doesn’t bother me though, not when I’m enjoying the playlist I’m listening to—Flame Alyconia’s second studio album, Hell Lost Its Fire.

One month, two months, three months, four... and still counting. I haven’t seen her in four months straight, and all of these days I couldn’t see her, I’ve clung to her voice.

Rick leaves the music room of the tour bus, leaving the spacious area all to myself. I could start being emotional but I decide remain still in my seat until we reach our destination. I just hope Rick doesn’t return.

Sigh. This week, like any other, is just some typical Irony Affairs scene—Rick messing around, Nathan throwing random objects at my face, Xavier addressing me as lover boy, and Zephyr and Brent having the usual unfriendly arguments with me.

My old boring life’s back, except that I’m lonelier now.

I’m a wreck, and I’m laughing at myself.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

I check my phone for new text messages, expecting the impossible. I’ve sent her messages during my spare time. At times she’d send one-word replies, at times she’d promise to text back when she has finished her work but she doesn’t, and at times she’d not bother replying at all.

Revenge is sweet huh, Kailey?

And yet, look at me, still trying to force myself into her. That woman drives me crazy. She has always been.

I take a peek through the small window behind a curtain. God, a few kilometers more and we’re back at the recording company. That just means I’m seeing those money-hungry executives again, who thinks about nothing but promoting the band. I guess I’m really going back to my old life.

That tour with Flame Alyconia is one of the best tours I had ever. Of course, Kailey is the highlight of all of that. Apart from interacting with her for almost a month, her bandmates were also fun to be with, and I really enjoyed watching the dudes bully Terence. Apart from that, the places we went to are exceptional—the food, atmosphere, people, everything. It was perfect.

It hurts me that it’s a part of the past now. The melancholy of it diminishes the world around me physically. If Xavier hadn’t pressed against my bicep, I wouldn’t have known that he is here, accompanying me in the stillness of the music room.

His mouth is moving, but I can’t hear over the loud volume. I glance his way and return to the scene outside the window. My throat is too raw with pain for me to speak to him.

He is however, persistent. He yanks one of my earbuds.

“Hey!”

“Listen to me, will ya? You’ve been silent all day!”

“What is it that you want?” I say grumpily.

“I can clearly hear Hell Sent Angel playing from over here,” he says and points at my music player. “You better take care of your ears, Trevor. Being a deaf musician would be tough for ya.”

“Or cool. Beethoven was one. So, what is it that you want?” I repeat in a grumpier tone while turning my music player off.

“I wanna show you this.” He hands me his iPhone playing a video. The immediate second I see Kailey singing, I yank my other earbud off and set my player aside.