Ch 2: Enter, Flame Alyconia

KAILEY~

What I really find rewarding in my budding career is the privilege of writing songs that speak for the youth. Amidst all worldly problems, writing music and listening to co-artists are what kept me going these past years. I usually find myself arranging a set of words in a lyrical manner during my spare time. It could be called a habit, it could be called an addiction, but I’d rather have it called passion. The next rewarding thing in this career of mine is that I get to sing to the world the works I poured my heart and soul into. My voice has reached millions of people and has shared the light I enjoy with the ones lost in the dark.

After several months of exhausting countinuous tours, my band finally gets to travel home to Westminster. I sit on the lower deck of our tour bus working on a new creation to sing to the growing number of our ever adoring fans. I write down my thoughts on paper, hoping to add a tune to it very soon.

         Burst into flames, scream in the dark...

         I’m gonna light up this place, and die in beautiful (sparks/stars?) tonight.

“What a clumsy move, Terence!”

“Yeah, dude. You’re such an idiot!”

I draw a line across 'sparks,' thinking that the verse will sound better with 'stars.' My next task will require me to link 'stars' to the second verse, then I’ll be able to work on it smoothly. Hm...

         We run under the stars through cemetery backyards,

         Celebrate the way the night hides scars.

I’ve been waiting for the right time to plug that last lyric into one of my songs and I'm finally able to! Picking up my acoustic guitar, I strum a G-Em-Am-D chord progression on that line to see if it fits.

“Fuck! Just fuck! You’re as useless as a white crayon!”

“You’re as useless as a bra to a seven-year-old!”

        So dance! If it moves you!

        Jump in the fire! If it burns you!

Note to self: let August scream ‘so dance’ and ’jump in the fire’ parts. So far, so good. I like how I come up with fire-related words and put them together, since I'm in love with the element of fire. This is so fitting, considering that I named our band Flame Alyconia. I remember deriving the name Alyconia from Alycone, a star in the constellation Taurus. 'Flame Alyconia' is like giving a name to a flame. Now, who on Earth would give an identity to a flame? Nobody. That's right. Nobody but us.

“Seriously, Terence? Only a noob would do that!”

“Goddamn you, jerks! I’m new to this game!”

       I’ll throw my arms around you darling,

      and we'll turn to ashes (drown me in the flames).

Let Oliver do the backing vocals for the ones in parentheses this time. I’ll have to ask the boys to do a rehearsal with me tomorrow to see if the harmony of our voices will sound appealing. I strum my guitar once more to pick up the perfect chords.

“That’s not an excuse for dragging the team down! You are as useless as the stoplights in Grand Theft Auto!”

“A submarine in the Sahara Desert!”

       But if these demons keep coming from the desert...

My pen rolls from my desk after our driver Dave breaks to a full stop. I regain my balance and resettle my guitar on my thigh as my toes try to reach for the fallen pen. Reviewing my work, I tell myself that I've got a working verse already, though the chorus could use some more revising.