Ch 10: Ezekiel Kennedy, The Interview

KAILEY~

Summer, as hot and scorching as it sounds, could actually hold your typical tour getaway as proven by Canadian summers. My band, together with Sleeping Solace and Escape the Fate discovered the distinctive flowerpot rock formations and hidden sea caves in a national park. We watched some of the highest tidal waves in the world splash on our toes and interacted with sea-lions at the Vancouver Aquarium. 

It aches me to death knowing that we’ll have to leave the country soon, after ten days of sweet escapade after every show. To add the fact that the dudes from the other bands who shared this amazing experience with me will be parting from us not later than tomorrow morning kills me silently.

I stand consumed in the sun’s warm scarlet rays and in the sentimental scenery of the sunset. It’s like the Canadian sun expressing its gratitude for spending my precious time for its people. I silently swear to the sun that I’ll return to its tranquil and mystical place when time permits.

Just as I thought of working on a song I will have to call ‘Canadian Summer,’ I feel a gentle pat on my shoulder.

“Pretty nice view, isn’t it?” I look up to see the one and only Craig Mabbitt, lead vocalist for Escape The Fate, gazing down at me with his beady eyes. The fringes that frame his face are held back by a ponytail, probably to allow the wind to breeze through his nape.

“Yeah.” I nod and give him a quick hug. “I had fun during tour.”

“Aw, c’mon, don’t be emotional now little girl,” he says as he pats my head and ruins my bun, causing tendrils to hang over my forehead. Shortcomings of being petite.

“I’m not being emotional Craig, I’m just being honest to you. Frankly, this is my best tour of the year.”

We chat until the sun completely vanishes from the horizon. Soon the night breeze starts to send us the chills so we decided to head back to the suites.

Upon stepping on the architecture’s waxed floors, my band calls out to me from the receiving area. My bandmates, all pierced and inked, are trying to entertain themselves on the cushioned furniture.

“Where have you been?” August questions. “You just missed interview with Post-hardcore Fever.”

“Really?” I say impassively. “What were his questions about?” The interviews are getting out of hand lately. For every break I get, I find myself flooding an interviewer with facts that I mindlessly answer with a tint of humor. I never answered with complete honestly. I’d resort to jokes just to evade questions that could give away bits of my private life.

“It’s a she.” Terence corrects me yet his eyes are too focused on an origami he’s working on. “Damn, just can’t do the creases right!”

“Just the usual ‘what’s your favorite' questions, Kailey.” Keana answers but is also caught up in the thrill of folding papers. “Ha! I finished the paper crane! You suck at this, Terence!”

I laugh at the pity sight of Terence being bullied again. I sit beside August, who isn’t fumbling over a piece of paper but rather squeezing a stress ball.

“Where did you get that?”

“Found it on the sidewalk.” He hands the yellow ball to me and shows me the design of a cute smiley. “Awesome, huh?”

“Amusing, indeed.”

“Well, finally!” Terence lifts his little paper bird in the air to boast his piece of art. “You’re quite the struggle, little bird.” He mimics a boy having fun with a toy airplane as he glides the origami through the air and shoots it to a sleeping Oliver’s open mouth.