Ch 14: Phone Calls, Regrets and Apologies

KAILEY~

The worst feeling? When you have already fallen fast asleep, with your dead, aching body, then suddenly your phone vibrates inside your pocket. I know it's no big deal, but if your ticklish spot happens to be the thigh area, I'm pretty sure you'd go berserk like I did.

The rays of light streaming from the bedroom door makes me blink several times. I'm too tired to get up or even to simply open my eyes, so I grope for the phone I blindly drew from my pocket. Without checking the caller I press the answer button, and, instead of saying hello, I let out a loud yawn.

"Oh hey, Poxy. Sorry, did I wake you up?"

Only one of the Irony Affairs boys would call me Poxy. I'm so glad it's not one of those executives and managers from the recording company else I'll be dead to my managers. Frontwoman of a band and yet no phone ethics, cringe. "Yes, but no need to apologize," I say. "I needed to wake up hours ago."

"Your voice sounds husky. You okay?"

"Yeah, been singing for two weeks straight, uhm, Zeph? Xave? Nate? Richard?"

"You don't know who I am?"

"Sorry," I apologize, followed by another yawn. "Didn't check caller. Phone too bright. My poor eyes."

I hear him laugh, an amount of air that seem too much for the phone to handle. "It's me, Xavier."

"Ah Xave... What made you call?" I glance at my huge wall clock. I jerk on my spot, realizing that I've been asleep for more than six hours! Oh my goodness. I rise from my bed quickly, hoping that there's still enough time for me for the whole night to do something productive. Then, it hit me. "Oh, wait!" I say, the same time as I finally step on the floor. "I heard Arise, Hero topped Billboard Hits! Congratulations!" 

"Thanks! We made it to the top five last week! But this week we ended up in number seven."

Oh, humility. That's just too rare in the music scene nowadays. "That's not so bad, Xave! We never made it to top ten and yet look at you guys! I'm so glad Flame Alyconia's going to tour with you chart toppers next year! It's such a privilege!"

"Oh stop it, you! You helped us snatch that position! I told you that for like a lot of times already, Poxy!" I hear him breath out one hell of a laugh on the line again. "By the way you mentioned the tour next year, I--err, the whole band--don't know the details yet."

"I don't know much either." I set my phone on speakerphone so that I could still talk to Xave while I do my early morning--I mean evening--stretches. "Brynn's still working on finalizing the places we'll be performing at."

"Brynn? The curly-haired chick with green eyes you're always with?"

"Yes, her." I smile at myself evilly, knowing that Xave has occasionally seen her and that something's quite obvious. Brynn, however, is clueless. "She has a boyfriend, y'know."

"I didn't ask that! And excuse me, Ms. Overprotective Best Friend, I have a girlfriend too, y'know."

"Ha! Rachel, right?"

"Yes, her." Still, there's a little hint of pride in the way he spoke of her, even if it isn't much, which makes me smile at it's cuteness. "Brent said we are going to tour Asia," he continues.

"Right you are. It will be Flame Alyconia's frst time to rock Asia!" I head to my dresser and comb frizzy bed hair. The mirror just proves how messed up I look like right now. But then, looking more closely at the girl staring back at me, and knowing that she'll be facing the folks from Asia the first time, probably even hang out with some of them, I find my lips curving into a smile again. Hell, being a rockstar has never been this exciting.