Ch 41: An Hour Too Early, A Minute Too Late

A/N: This chapter happens the same time as the last chapter. It could be implied here but I still think it's best if I tell you guys beforehand. Enjoy.

TREVOR~

“Are you still seeing the redhead?”

I sharply turn my head at Xavier, my eyebrows meeting, for such a question out of the blue.

“No. I talk to Bethany over the internet, because I can’t just shoo her away just like that.” I furrow my brows further and flash a disgusted look. “And why the hell do you make it sound like I’m hitting on her?”

“Well, dammit,” he says in an equally annoyed voice. “Because she’s Jane! I mean, she’s Jane’s face!”

After giving him a frown that kept him quiet for a moment there, we continue walking towards the elevator. There is this VIP elevator for us special guests in the area, and I hate it and Xavier hates it, but we’re left with no choice. They say it’s for our security, convenience, but the damn elevator can only accommodate four people at one.

“I still can’t believe it, hothead,” Xavier continues, munching on a double-sized burger. “Kailey is Jane!”

“Don’t remind me,” I growl.

“But you shouldn’t be just shrugging the girl away—”

“Waaait!” a voice from behind screams right after Xavier and I stepped into the elevator. It’s Rick, waving at us with a smoothie on one hand. By the time he gets inside the suffocating room he spills some of his sweetened beverage on my shirt.

“Hey, watch it!”

“I’m sorry!”

I quickly undress my unbuttoned checkered shirt, revealing the black t–shirt I’m wearing underneath. Kailey asked me to dress this way more often, because she said it suits me. Oh, Kailey. I haven’t talked to her for days. I throw my head backwards and hit it on the metal wall when Xavier and Rick aren’t looking. I just felt like doing so.

“So, as I was saying...” Xavier says as we watch the elevator doors close before us.

Go on and scold me all you want, I tell him silently, suddenly feeling sorry.

“I know you need time to processes all of this, but at least don’t be so hostile with Poxy.”

“I’m not being hostile, I’m just distancing myself,” I defend. “You know how terrible that lie is, right? She should’ve just told me before.”

“Maybe she doesn’t want to hurt your feelings, ya know. I bet she’s planning to keep it a secret forever but then Bethany showed up. Poor girl had no other choice.”

The elevator falls silent, and I could only hear Xavier chewing that juicy patty, and Rick’s earphones in extremely high volume I could practically listen along to his playlist. “Maybe she doesn’t want to hurt your feelings, ya know.” Sigh. I’ve never thought of that. But she didn’t have to create a Jane just to get my attention. Or maybe, I wasn’t giving her enough attention before? Ah, goddammit!

“Kailey, Jane. Come to think of it, if they’re the same girl, then you’ve been in love with the same person all along.”

“...you’ve been in love with the same person all along.” Damn, he’s right. This person; I look at him from head to toe, still indulging in that snack of his. He speaks of these things like it’s just so natural to him. No wonder Xavier and Rachel have been so stable for almost half a decade.

“Same person over the years.” He pauses to swallow. “Hmm, now that’s destiny.”

Destiny. I bit my lip as I felt my cheeks burn, and bow down so Xavier wouldn’t see. I give a furtive sigh, thinking of what Kailey and I have, and this possibility called ‘destiny.’ Ugh, sounds corny, I know.