Chapter 1 Near Nottingham Present Day

Chapter One

Near Nottingham England 2013

 " John to the seven churches which are in Asia , grace be unto you and peace from him which is "

The Priest delivered his words like James Brown delivered a song . His animated , passionate and aggressive shock and awe sermon had every eye fixed on him. I fully expected him to break into Get Up Offa That Thing . He seemed desperate to terrify the sin out of everyone present.

I sat and listened to the priest , maybe thirty minutes it may have been an hour , I didn't really care .

The priest looked over his parishioners , no more than fifteen before him. He raised his fist and his voice .

"Remember ....The seven spirits of God and the seven stars . You live and you are dead .....Are you perfect before God "

I tried my hardest to pray . I wasn't really sure what I was praying to or what I should say

The priest now louder still

" And the seven angels shall wear seven veils and we will write on their foreheads she is the mother of harlots , she is the abomination of the earth .......We are We Are amidst evil...my children we are amidst evil .....Go from here and be perfect before God "

Almost breathless , he lowered his hand and in a meek voice continued .

"He which testifies those things ....He which testifies those things will only be judged by god and sit besides his chair "

Raising both hands

"Go Now " he boomed " Go now home ...the peace of God be with you , be with you all"

The parishioners shuffled out of the church in virtual silence , maybe terrified by the fire in the priests sermon , who knows .

I turned to leave and walked from my pew onto the stone flag aisle . The sun was shining in through a beautiful stained glass arched window, high to the left depicting a scene of three wise men looking over Jesus.

I wasn't really thinking of anything as I walked , in fact I had no idea why I was really there . An old woman walked in through the Baronial sized door , I wasn't sure if I had seen her before . Her long black coat seemed rather funerial . How apt I thought.

" God is always with you "

The words seemed to echo in slow motion around the Church

" Son ...God is always with you "

I instinctively knew the words were addressed at me . I turned zipping my jacket at the same time . If they were addressed at me the Priest was now facing his alter. I shrugged and turned to leave , at the same time catching the priest in the corner of my eye turning to look at me .

"Can I help You " he asked holding at the same time picking up two books from a table .

"No" I half looked back but continued walking away.

"God be with you son " the priest exclaimed in a goodbye then way.

I stopped , turned on my heels , feeling the rage and confusion within me suddenly rise.

I stared straight at the priest from maybe twenty metres.

" What did you say " I spluttered

The priest gestured a hand towards me " God be with you "

I ran my hand over my face , feeling my hand shake . Very quietly I replied

" God be with me ...with me , I see ...God be with me "