The Gideon Society

Poyser burst into Fludd's office , announcing before the door slammed behind him

" We've lost her Sir" 

" How do you mean " Fludd replied , looking irritated . He placed his pen on the table . Nothing was due to go wrong . " How"

Poyser walked closer " She has been lifted from the medical centre , about two hours ago . An armed team took her "

Fludd's face contorted with anger " Where is she now "

Poyser said " You are not going to believe this sir"

" Try me "

" She is in French air space , a helicopter lifted her out . Had to be an inside job , doors were left open . We have got three guards dead and one injured " Poyser sat down shaking his head

" The French "

" Yes Sir " Poyser replied " Definitely "

Fludd took a deep breath " And Tutbury"

Poyser paused and leaned against the board table " We have err lost him Sir , not a trace for four hours . We have people in his house now , but no trace , It seems he had a female companion "

Fludd shook his head " This gets fucking worse , and who is she , do we know "

" Not yet Sir, no trace of her , but we have recovered most of the files we gave them "

Fludd paced  to the window and stared out "God fucking God, what a fuck up  , and the Americans , do they know yet ?"

Poyser rocked slightly from foot to foot . Imparting bad news to Fludd had never been easy " We haven't heard anything yet . There agents are keeping a low profile , it looks as though one of their own finished off Krey .....just had the report in on that Sir from people at the scene."

" They are panicking, that's good Fludd replied seeing something positive out of the situation

" Yes Sir , they are concentrating on their cover for the hit . Trying to get new people in and the hit team out "

Fludd turned , his back to the window and the Salford skyline  " Who is running their op. "

" Mancini Sir " Poyser replied glancing at his notes

Fludd rubbed his hands "Mancini   huh Mafia boy made good " He had no time for Mancini and his particular route to fame but respected his ability to get the job done ," they are bringing the big guns out "

Poyser nodded in agreement " It seems so sir"

Fludd walked purposely to his desk.

" Ok, I want a meeting at 9am tomorrow morning here  . All the inner sanctum . Fly them in or whatever . No fucking excuses , shut down the medical centre immediately she was held at , do that now . I want to know today which French department moved her , who authorised it and who ran the job"

Poyser turned towards the door " One thing sir , I do know from one of the staff at the centre is that it was a small team led by a woman and it was definitely a military helicopter which flew them all out , all over in ten minutes , less maybe "

Fludd looked up and took his glasses off placing them carefully on the desk in front of him folding them and then placing them into a vintage Gaultier case , clicking it closed .  

" Claudine Missou " he took a deep breath in and repeated " Claudine Missou ,  You have never seen anything like her she Poyser is the best of the best . This was a major operation . She had slipped off the radar recently "

" Do you know her well SIr"

Poyser smiled" Yes very , we have come into contact a few times unfortunately . Do you remember the assassination of the American banker in Italy before the fraud trial . He was going to give evidence . Well that was her work . I could reel you off a list . She fought for the Algerians against the French before they recruited her , took her first life aged fourteen . She has some history which no one can quite get to the bottom of , but she doesn't place much value on life . She was on the streets at fourteen after her mother was murdered in a drugs raid . She had to be strong , she became terrifying ..If she comes after you , you are dead. You say one guard injured ? " Fludd laughed " Then she must be getting old . I'm surprised she left anyone standing ........that first kill .....that was A Brit who tried to rape her in Paris , she stabbed him, then went back and carved a C on his forehead ......Anyway Poyser , if you would organise all that for me , keep me informed of anything . Particuarly when the Americans know "

Poyser turned and walked away

Fludd walked to the window lighting a cigarette , a habit he kept returning to . Particuarly it seemed when women crossed his path . Inhaling he blew smoke into the air his head back , eyes closed .

'Claudine Missou , well , well , well , how very clever ' he thought, knowing exactly why she would cut his throat as soon as look at him .