Mancini's Office New York

" We have a major problem Sir" , Agent Francis announced walking into Mancini's office." The girl and the star we believe are in France"

" France" Mancini looked straight at Francis

" Yes sir , we believe that the French Secret Service or an organisation affiliated to them lifted them last night . We think Tutbury is with them"

Mancini picked up a pencil from his desk and stared at it , snapping it in rage . " How , How the fucking hell have they got out of that fucking country without us or the British or any other fucking agency stopping them " Mancini stood banging both fists down on the table .

Francis looked at his notes " Inconclusive as yet sir , but we think they used a sleeper cell to lift them . Armed team led by a woman did it in ten minutes . We think inside help as well.

Mancini looked thoughtful and scratched his ear " A woman , French woman " his disregard of women would normally have left him scoffing at how ridiculous it would be for a woman to carry out such an operation. " We lost some "

" Yes sir , a few"

" Has the President's office been informed yet "

" Yes Sir " Francis replied " We have an emergency meeting at eleven am today here . They are on their way "

" What are the Brits saying " Mancini added sitting back at his desk

" We are speaking with them now Sir , they are suggesting that this goes right back to Iraq . With the French saying look what we can do when we want to "

Mancini looked up he seemed worried " They would say that wouldn't they , this will have been sanctioned at the highest level . Has anyone spoken to the French "

Francis looked at his notes " Yes Sir , they are denying obviously any involvement , although one report did say 'war happens to people one by one '

" That was a slogan used by the Algerians some years ago " Mancini added knowing exactly what it meant and why it was said. He remembered being involved in many murders supporting the French against the Algerians and one in particular during a drugs raid on a prominent business woman . He remembered looking at a young girl sat by the body of her dead mother . A woman he had shot dead. He remembered vividly the girls eyes , she stared back at him without emotion . there was something half dead about her , certainly not fully alive . he had thought to shoot her along with her mother . a decision he regretted now .

Francis's voice snapped Mancini back from his thoughts. " We have two people in France Sir , they say that they don't know the location of the helicopter . Apparently it was met in French air space by four other identical Chinooks and they all landed at different air bases . So best guess is anyone of those .

" Fucking brilliant " Mancini muttered .

" Oh and sir, they had Apaches bring each one in and their were Mirage2000s  patrolling the channel area. "

Mancini nodded " This wasn't a five minute job was it , ok right what to do . First get me Fludd on the phone , tell him to put his fucking Vodka Martini down as we need to act and quick "

Francis picked up his papers glad that this meeting with Mancini was over . He hated being in his presence , in fact he hated being in the same city .

Mancini opened up his jotter and scribbled slowly in capitals CLAUDINE MISSOU staring at the words he had written