Chapter 23

Driving home from my wasted visit to the library I tried to make sense of the impossible . Even the radio DJ seemed to taunt me playing The Stones ' You Can't Always Get What You Want ' . The sunshine burnt down creating an otherwise idyllic setting as I drove into the village , pulling up at the Church .

This seemed to be the centre of so much , so locking the car I wandered down the path and into the vestibule . A cleaner was hoovering to my right , otherwise the church was empty .

What should I do ? I just wandered around , trying seemingly in vain to look for clues. I had absolutely no idea what I was looking for .Anyway, I'm pretty sure this church is only 100 years old and built on top of where the monastery used to be . I picked up every leaflet I could , stuffed them in my pockets and walked out , probably feeling more confused than ever .

The village was deserted , probably an omen who knows as I drove away from the church , towards the farms and through my gates .

What a wasted bloody morning I muttered under my breath turning the key and walking in .

Putting on a large pot of coffee I opened the two large files on my study floor and sat cross legged besides them leaning against an old leather Chesterfield sofa I'd found in an antique centre a few years earlier , it looked a bit like I felt , old and in need of some TLC

Ok here we go ....I took a deep breath

I turned a few pages over , there were literally thousands of notes , clippings ,files, maps and press cutting . Even copies of ancient documents in French and Latin. I was going to have to be very organised and try to create a sequence of information . Where do I start . I separated Gideons notes from Joshuas ......All this left me with were two piles instead of one .......This was hopeless .

I put my head back on the sofa staring at the ceiling , Gods sake I exclaimed out loud to no one

Three hours into the afternoon and I still hadn't really achieved anything of any significance , other than to confuse myself more . I had learned more about the area and the mills , but a lesson on Industrial England was not what I needed .

The day disappeared and I was increasingly finding myself under a mountain of paper .

How was Carol , What was happening ?

Picking the Salfords peoples leaflet from the right hand pile I simply had to know , this was heartbreaking , it was agony.

I punched in the number

A receptionist politely answered , just as they had done a few days earlier .

" May I speak to Mr Fludd " I asked

" I am sorry there is no one here of that name " came the reply

" You must be mistaken , I met him yesterday "

" I am sorry sir , Goodbye " the lady replied followed by  the burrrr of the receiver being replaced .

I daydreamed for a moment , It was like I was holding Carol's hand , I imagined back to that first day we met in October all those days ago . I willed her to know I was thinking of her , sending furious , desperate, anxious warm messages of love , don't you dare die don't you dare

Snapping back into reality

I put the phone to my forehead , bloody hell I muttered then tossed the phone onto the sofa .

It was now 7pm  Day one of my work , absolutely nothing achieved . I was starting to think this star thing was an elaborate hoax .

Only one thing for it . I opened a bottle of wine and brought the bottle and glass into the study , pouring the first glass . I was just about to take a sip when the doorbell rang .