Chapter 29

" What you got Poyser , come in take a seat "

It was nine am . Ruben Poyser walked into Fludd's penthouse office . The office had originally been part of Gideon Tutbury's private quarters , forming part of his private office .

From the windows most of Salford's skyline could be seen as the windows panned around three sides of the building. Central in the building was a board room table with leather backed chairs surrounding it .

Fludd got up from his antique walnut French oak desk . The desk had originally been used by Robiespierre  who from it had ordered the demise of many noble and some royal unfortunates. The desk had maintained it's role it seemed to the present day . Gideon had acquired it when he felt the need to be closer to the French and acquired the Chateau Maxentius in Northern France .

Poyser placed the buff file in between him and Fludd  and sat at the board table . Fludd  picked up the file and opened it continuing to walk around the room . Two red stamps marked Private and Secret were stamped on the front.

" Have you read through it " Fludd asked flicking through the pages .

" Yes Sir "

" What you think Ruben"

" Well sir , he is a Vietnam war hero , CIA and FBI last six years and with Phelps last three. Not a blot on his record ......perfect in fact "

" Then that's the blot Ruben , no such thing as perfect , everyone fucks up ......this is too perfect . Short of saying he is a campaigner for world peace and loves animals it is too perfect " Fludd scoffed

There was quiet in the room for a moment . Fludd broke the silence.

" Who we got available "

Poyser knew what he meant " male or female "

" Either " Fludd replied " Female then less obvious , I want him watched "

" Ok sir , consider it done "

Poyser retrieved the file Fludd had left on the table and walked to the door

Fludd knew his friend very well " Reuben one thing "

Poyser turned at the door " Yes sir"

" I know there wont be , but I can't afford any mistakes , I want this cranking up to red "

Poyser knew that red meant that the agent he would choose didn't need permission to kill Krey

" Oh one final thing Reuben , can we discreetly get Phelps lines checked "

Reuben closed the door behind him finishing with " Yes sir " as he left the room .

Fludd sat back in his chair flicking his nails in that most irritating of ways

Now it begins now it begins he thought to himself