Chapter 10 Giscard Roulle De Gisors Paris 1863

Chapter Ten

Giscard Roulle De Gisors

Paris 1863

Giscard Roulle de Gisors had for nearly forty years kept his silence and his distance from his son in law Gideon Tutbury

Gideon had been refused any kind of meeting with Giscard following the death of his wife and child . He had refused to help with any hunt for the missing boy . Giscard had said at the time that his grief was compounded by Gideons actions and he vowed to never speak of it again. Giscard was now a frail old man , he had returned to his native Paris from New York after fleeing Napoleonic France several years earlier.

Giscard felt content as he gazed out of ten storeys high over the Rue de la Grand Armee below . The bustle of Parisians below heading to or from le Arc de Triomphe . He had always dressed with the impeccable style of a wealthy Parisian and smiled with nostalgia at the young chic of society as they preened themselves like cockerels and hens . He was still a Director of the increasingly secret Phelps Society in New York , but these days they visited him , rather than he travel the ardous journey to America.

For the past forty years his loyal manservant Pierre had been by his side . Both of them now looked like frail old men.

Turning to Pierre , Giscard beckoned him to the window .

" Pierre it is a beautiful spring morning , we are old men . You have been with me longer than I care to remember . We have fled tyrants and built empires side by side . I trust you with my life ........I no longer see you as a servant , but my closest friend ......my trusted friend "

Pierre smiled

" Thank you sir " unable to see Giscard as anything else but his master

" Pierre , we may not have many spring days like this left " , pouring a glass of claret , he poured a second for Pierre . Something he had never done before . He gestured that Pierre should pick up the glass. " Pierre it is time to send the telegram , The venue will be the Paris Exhibition at The Louvre in July of this Year .......Not the first day , but the last day ...the seventh day "

Pierre placed the glass back down on the table . He knew exactly what was required.

" The telegram will be sent immediately sir "

" Thank you Pierre"

Giscard remained staring out over Paris , the sun seemed to glisten in the distance on the roof of the Notre Dame . He raised his glass

" Yes .....it is time "