Chapter 13 The Paris Exhibition July 1863

France had a mini heatwave this year and as Gideon walked along the banks of the Seine he felt the sun burn against his face . Possibly overdressed , but immaculate in a black suit , coat and top hat . He walked slowly . The sun glinting on his gold topped cane . Parisians and those from further afield had flocked to the exhibition . Some out of curiosity and others just wanting to mingle with the elite of European Society and some desperate to see new innovation.

Gideon's reasons were all together different .

He walked past a small group of people sat under parasols sipping champagne . Their male companions stood . Many smoking fine cigars . Clearly Parisian elite were all around the Seine on this beautiful Sunday afternoon.

Near the bridge children swam in the water , mothers and nannies anxiously watching or waving to them .

Gideon crossed the Great Iron Bridge and headed up the four steps to the forecourt of The Louvre .It's impressive façade standing proudly in front of him.

A small queu were waiting to see the India Exhibition in the conservatoire . Gideon walked past them towards the main entrance , through the doors and inside . His assistant walking two paces behind him.

The normally formal and striking reception area had been taken over by banners and flags of every nation . Signs pointed to the different exhibition halls , people in African or Indian or Chinese costume milled around the area creating a rainbow of colours and movement . A juggler and Jester entertained a small group , a man dressed in feathers and a cape with an owl on his forearm invited people to hold the bird.

Gideon walked on . He had been to the managers office once before  when donating a Calvaggio Masterpiece to the Museum . That day he had been feted and offered Champagne.

He wondered what today would bring.

Further down the corridor a male attendant approached him seemingly out of nowhere . He was tall  and handsome , mid thirties speaking in a very educated and groomed voice .

" Can I help you sir "

Gideon glanced at him but didn't answer , allowing his assistant to cursely say no

A Little further on Gideon paused . He was no longer a young man and a walk like this was very hard for him . Placing a hand on the wall he recovered his composure .

Putting his handkerchief over his mouth he politely coughed into it .

His assistant approached him

" Are you well sir"

Gideon coughed again

" Yes , Yes I'm fine , lets get this over and we can get out of this stifling place "

Gideon's wealth and power had given him many priveliges , but he'd also acquired many bad habits . One of which was impatience  another of being very abrubt .

Arriving at the managers office Gideon handed his Coat ,hat and cane to his assistant and without knocking walked straight in .

The office was quite large with boxes on top of boxes to the left . A stuffed caged fox on a shelf with a broken vase next to it . A crate marked Sevres was to his right next to a rolled up rug by an old oil lamp . A row of ledgers maybe six feet high filled another area .

Giscard rose from his seat and held out his hand