Chapter 28

Impossible to sleep , due to the Mediterranean temperature I opened the bedroom window and walked downstairs to get a cold drink .

Suddenly the security lights all around the building flashed into life . Lazer lighting strobed up and down . I had been persuaded to install this incredibly expensive security system and I was seeing it first hand in action.

I jumped and felt that cold shiver of fear

Rushing to the window , I noticed a shadowy dark figure run across the courtyard

" Oi " I shouted loudly  banging on the kitchen window .

I ran to the door grabbing a pasta ladle and turned the key in the lock . I managed to undo the stiff lock and dashed outside and stood in the middle of the courtyard my bathrobe had come undone in the effort . Both hands holding the ladle as if it was a baseball bat . Slowly I walked to the gates which were slightly open as a car fired up in the distance and sped into the night , wheels spinning .

Closing the gates I stared as far as I could into the village ....Nothing

I walked back into the house picking bits of gravel from underfoot  tossing the ladle onto the side unit . Reflecting on the fact they wouldn't have dared to come around here had my dog still been alive .

Walking back into the kitchen I picked an orange carton from the fridge drinking straight from it , wiping my mouth with the back of my hand . What the fuck next I wondered placing the carton back into the fridge

Deciding to not go back , as it seemed pointless due to the heat and the ridiculous situation . Ordinarily anyone would ring the Police and say I have had an intruder , but I can't . I banged my fist down onto the kitchen unit .

It was five am and I was utterly pissed off , tired hot and as I glanced in the kitchen mirror looking like a hundred years old .

Thinking I may as well get the day started I showered and found grabbed a shirt and some jeans and walked down into the kitchen. My mind playing over and over again scenarios of What if this or what if that . Gideon versus Joshua . What was I missing . I don't know .

I prepared some of Suzannah's coffee and put a couple of croissants in the oven . I had to remain positive. Pouring myself a cup I waited for Suzannah to aarive.

The gate rattled at about eight fifteen and glancing out of the window I watched her walk down the courtyard . She was back to her blue jeans and white blouse hanging loosely over a white low cut vest which displayed plenty of cleavage .

" Come on in " I greeted her at the door with a cup of coffee . After the night I'd had she was just the tonic I needed

" You look great " I said " Very summery "

" Why thankyer kind sir " she jokingly replied " I'm sorry that I'm early I've not had a good night "

I was just about to recount my evening when she said angrily

" You just won't believe it , won't believe it . I got back last night and someone had been through my things , moving stuff about in my room at the guest house . Been in my drawers and opened a case "

" Really " I replied " Who" Thinking to myself there after Suzannah as well now

" Yes " she still obviously angry continued " It can only have been Mrs bloody Stanhope or her interfering slob of a husband......I'm the only guest , who else can it be"

I nodded " Gotta be them " The reality was I wasn't sure and feared the worst

Calming a little she sipped her coffee " Well John I confronted Mrs Stanhope and she went mad , stark raving mad...how dare I suggest it ...She had never been so insulted in all her life ...all that I got both barrels .....Anyway long and short of it is that I have got to vacate my room by tonight " She laughed .." Not been a good week has it for God's sake "