Chapter 22

The following morning couldn't come soon enough .

At 9am I was outside the reference library hoping I would be able to photo copy every reference to Joshua Tutbury , Gideon Tutbury and any other Tutbury . I had spent a good few hours googling myths and religious legend earlier , but had found very little of use. Waiting outside with me was a large  lady who's long Barbour coat and wax hat seemed out of place on such a hot day . 

We exchanged good mornings

" Have you tried the door " she asked without looking at me

I glanced toward her " No , I was just waiting until someone opened it and came out with the A board thing"  I replied

She didn't answer me . Instead she walked around me onto the step and pushed the door . It opened and she walked straight in . Putting my phone into my pocket I followed her .

" My God" she exclaimed " Mrs Stanhope , what the hell are you doing "

I looked around the large wax Barbour to see the Librarian who had helped me the other day hurriedly buttoning up her blouse and trying to tuck it into her skirt at the same time . A man fastening his shirt , whilst trying to hide behind a pile of books .

" I thought the door was locked , I'm sorry " I spluttered not sure really what to say . It didn't seem appropriate at that moment to hand my library card over . The Barbour Lady was stood hands on hips her mouth wide open .

The Librarian just muttered " Oh dear , Sorry , I ...sorry " looking extremely flushed her immaculately groomed hair falling about her face , half up half down , still trying to tuck her white blouse into a pin striped black skirt

The Barbour Lady then found her voice "  You " She boomed " You are a married lady Mrs Stanhope and you Roger Woodham " she pointed at the man " I was only playing Bridge with your wife yesterday , aren't you meant to be the Head of this Library " her delivery that of Margaret Thatcher at her hand bagging finest

He didn't answer just disappeared into the library  , picking up his jacket as he did.

Feeling like I wasn't helping the situation and that it might be not the right moment to ask for a reference book I turned to leave and side stepped my way around the Barbour lady , still with her hands on her hips . Her generous frame , now seemed possibly daunting .

" I will , err excuse me , I will come back later " I hurriedly walked out of the door with the commanding tones of the Barbour Lady still resounding around the Library

" You Mrs Stanhope , you are a married woman , you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself , you really should know better "

As the door closed behind me an elderly Gentleman carrying The Sporting Life and a supermarket carrier stepped onto the step to the Library .

" I would give it five minutes " I said to him " They are just having a stock check"