Chapter 39

A shard of light appeared again at the window giving me enough to light up my dig. I started to breathe again and slowly  clawed at the sand ,  scooping it with my fingers . I stopped my hands didn't move and my heart raced again  . I felt something  hard and rough . Instantly I pulled my hands out brushing the sand from my gloves.

Slowly like an archaeologist using my trowel I carefully moved the sand away . I moved my head backwards to allow the light to fill the area . I could just start to make out small jagged rough stones , like coal in appearance but sharper . I picked some out , then a few more and placed them all around the edge of the sand pile I had created.

I pushed my fingertips deeper and felt a soft material . " Yes " I exclaimed this time not under my breath.

I uncovered all the area around it.

The material was in tatters and covered about seven or eight inches square . I reached under it . I could feel the hard object it was covering .

The town clock struck one am.

My heart was beating faster . I lifted the object carefully out . Some material fell away and disintegrated.

This is it , this is it I thought . It was surprisingly heavy as I lifted. Sand fell away.

A darkened object came into view.

" God " I said again out loud . It was the star.I ran my hand over it feeling the shape as dirt dropped from it. 

A cat screamed outside and I quickly wrapped it in towel I had brought and placed it in my rucksack along with my tools and threw the sack over my shoulders. Still on my haunches I pushed all the debris I had dug with my hands back into the hole and patted everything flat . I hurriedly heaved the flag back into its position. Not ideal, but it would have to do . I stood on it in an attempt to level it walking over it a few times .Standing up I wheeled the chest back into position. It looked pretty level.

I turned to walk quickly to the door. Slowly opening it as Suzannah had instructed . I returned to the alarm panel and pulled the note back out of my pocket .

Pressing in the same code but finishing with ** and not hash . I waited for the beeps and hurried out of the door quickly but quietly pulling it closed. My free hand slowing it so as to keep it from banging . With a click it closed and the beeps stopped.

I fumbled again in my pocket for they key . Excitement now running through me . I struggled with the key hole , finding it with my other hand and placed the key in with my right .

The door locked . Good . I placed the keys back in my pocket.

Half turning , that second sense kicked in when you know someone is behind you , A movement a woosh and a huge bang against my shoulder . I staggered back against the wall raising my hand and a second blow knocked me to the ground onto my knees .

Looking up a glint of gun metal was two feet from me .

" Finish him and get it " a voice came from the darkness .

Suddenly he turned and fell backwards over my legs .

" Suzzanah " I exclaimed

Confusion ran through me . I got to my feet . My attacker grabbed my ankles tripping me .I fell to the floor cracking my head against the concrete. I was too terrified to shout

Two muffled crack crack sounds pierced the night , followed by a third from a different direction. Someone fell onto me . I rolled them away desperately trying to get to my feet .

I made it to my feet , I had no idea in which direction I was facing " You there " I said as a fourth muffled crack sounded . A ping as it hit brickwork near me . I stumbled forwards in the dark . A figure appeared in front of me , back lit by the edge of the passageway as it neared the street a gun clearly visible in their hand .

Gideon's ChairOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara