Chapter 35

" Krey is terminated Sir "

Poyser walked into Fludd's office carrying a handful of paper and reading from one . He placed them on the board table .

Picking up the remote he flicked one of the TV screens on.

" Bit about it here Sir " Poyser glanced back at Fludd pointing at the screen with the remote . The news article was from the murder scene . A tent covered the area , and reporters could be seen busily giving interviews to camera . They both listened to the article .

" This looks a bit messy " Fludd commented spinning his pen through his fingers , A slightly pained expression on his otherwise impassive face .Emotion was simply not part of his agenda . His early career on the front line had ensured that . He had seen so many people killed another one made little difference , irrespective of the fact he had shared a lunch with him only days earlier.

" Have we heard from our trigger yet " Fludd continued

" Not yet Sir"

Fludd gesticulated to Poser to turn off the screen with a dismissive wave of his hand " Have we heard anything from them "

Poyser placed both hands on the back of a chair placing the remote back on the table " Not yet Sir , the Americans have been quiet "

Fludd nodded " So we don't know yet if this is our hit "

Poyser shook his head " No, I've instigated a bit of vagueness about this , just in case it's ours"

Fludd sat on the edge of his desk, " Ok we have no interest in this man is the message , we have never met him " 

" Of course Sir "

Fludd scratched his head " Have we got anyone near Tutbury yet"

" Yes Sir " Poyser raised three fingers , indicating they had three operatives in place . " Third one got there this morning "

Fludd nodded

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mancini was early into his New York office. New York weather had gone from floods and storms to blistering heat. Sleeping was never easy for him thinking that whilst ever he was awake he had a better chance of staying alive. He had spent too many years with a gun by his bed and an escape route pre planned in too many hostile environments to enjoy a good nights sleep . The sun  coming in through his window highlighted the scar above his left eye . He would snigger when he reminded himself this was a  good night sweet dreams message left by one of the many women he left in his bed as he escaped down another fire escape into another bed.

Two of his aides were all ready waiting for him .

Mancini poured a cup of coffee from the large pot taking a sip. He walked back to his desk cursing the fact that no one could make coffee in New York. He crumpled the paper cup aggressively and threw it into the waste bin.

The two aides remained standing , virtually ignored by Mancini .

Mancini looked up at them

" Well you haven't come here to buy me fucking breakfast , so what's up "

The smaller of the two nervously read from a piece of paper

" Krey has been killed Sir ,

He walked forward and handed Mancini the note

Mancini read the information in front of him , placing the note on his desk. His brow furrowed

" Have we spoken to our people over there yet "

The same young aid replied " No Sir"  We are giving it an hour or two , till there's less chatter about this "

Mancini nodded " Have the Brits commented yet"

" No Sir , but we know that Fludd is at our embassy in London tonight "

Mancini nodded again " Ok , make sure the Ambassador understands the story , we don't kill our own and are horrified if this was done by British Secret Service . Why would we kill our own and why would a sixty year old tourist be targeted , all that crap "

" Yes sir"

The two aides walked to the door

" You " Mancini pointed at the aid who hadn't spoken , lighting his cigar at the same time " You here  to hold his fucking hand ......why did it need two of you .....Get out of my sight "

They hurriedly left the room.

Mancini opened the first of the newspapers on his desk , drawing on his cigar .

The intercom bleeped on his desk

" Yes , what"

" Good morning Sir , just to remind you of the video link meeting with Rob Hanson from the President's office at ten am. " The voice was from his P.A.

" Ok , yes I remember " he replied " Can you make sure Thomas Down and the guy from military intelligence is here ......Bob Askew I think he's called "

" Yes Sir , they are both here waiting "

" Ok , show them in .......Oh and get some fucking Italian coffee " his lack of manners were of no interest to him . The end always justified the means in any circumstance.