Chapter 8 The Peoples Facility Salford Present Day

Chapter Eight England Present Day

Think clearly John , Think clearly . I gripped the steering wheel , Panic surging through me .

Scrolling down my saved numbers , I called the hospital . Three rings and an automated answer told me visiting times were from 10am in the morning or if I had an emergency or a question to call the NHS out of hours service .

What goods that.....think think.

Pressing my satellite Navigation into life I scrolled through the options and typed in Salford . Pulling out of  Five Acres Village , I took the farm Road and headed for the motorway. Two hours later the sun was sinking as I pulled into The Holiday Inn car park Central Salford  . It's impersonal façade and cheery signage greeted me as if I'd travelled the world to get there .

Checking in I made my way as instructed to room 216 .

"Do you have any luggage Sir"  I turned back to the receptionist who was looking at me quizzically. It was then in my panic I hadn't even brought an overnight bag. Just the clothes I was stood up in.

I walked around Salford into the evening calling at a couple of pubs . The latter " The Mill" seemed somehow appropriate.

"Am I far from the People Facility"

The barmaid pointed me in the direction of the right hand side of the car park  " No ....take Canal Street , about fifty yards up on the left ....you can't miss it "

Finishing my drink I set off in the direction of she had given me calling in first at an all day chemist to buy deodorant , shampoo , a toothbrush and toothpaste . The vast building appeared like a colossus . It resembled a complete New York block , it's black weathered stone giving it a sinister look . It appeared totally outsized and out of proportion around the much smaller twentieth century architecture around it .Walking up the steps to the glazed entrance doors , it was pitch black inside . A couple of notices on the walls outside informed the public of an industrial festival and a talk in the great library.

Banks of CCTV cameras from every angle moved as if following me .

I must have walked around Salford alone with my thoughts for about another four hours , finding myself back at the Holiday Inn at just before 3am .

I woke with a start in my chair in the room, this was getting a habit . Glancing at my watch it was 8am.

After a quick shower and putting on yesterdays clothes , I headed back in the direction of yesterday evening .

I had to wait perhaps five minutes before the giant gates were opened by two girls who looked remarkably similar in red uniforms ....the hum of the CCTV cameras moving and following me .

I walked into the most amazing reception area . I walked from black to white tile like a chess piece being moved . Looking up into the seemingly non existant ceiling . A spiralling staircase rose into the void above , weaving through chandeliers hung at different heights . Maybe thirty or forty of them . Light streaming from dozens of windows created spotlight effects throughout the reception. The floor seemed to drift on forever .

" Can I help you Sir"

I was still looking down, and now at a pair of brilliant red shoes stood on a white square .

" Oh yes " I replied pulling out a scrap of paper with a name on it. " I have an appointment with Anja Sorrenson "

" Certainly sir and your name is "

" John Tutbury"

The blonde haired receptionist , who could have been the twin of the two who opened the door walked over to a desk phone , her brilliant red uniform immaculate as a stream of light hit it .