Gideons Return

Gideon returned to England after a short period of rehabilitation in a Paris hospital in the February of 1864 . He was by now a very ill man . The heart attack he had suffered at The Louvre had taken a bigger toll than he dared to admit . But stubbornly he refused doctors orders to rest . He was perhaps on his last crusade , this time personal. A personal mission to find if the stars exist , if they do where are they .

He became virtually a recluse , rarely changing out of a dressing gown . His personal obsession outweighing everything else . He immersed himself in his reference books of the crusades , or religious myth . Anything that might give him clues to the whereabouts of the star . He believed that finding the star would bring his son back .

As his health deteriated , his stubborn attitude increased seemingly oblivious to his own society and it's work .His visits to the inner chamber became less frequent.

Giscards revelations had totally transformed a man who was all powerful into a man eaten by paranoa constantly asking his assistant .

" Who can I trust .......Who do I trust "

They poured over manuscripts . He sent for all his religious advisors . Between them they worked around the clock .

" My Father ransacked churches like Henry 8th " he said to Bishop Paul  " Maybe he knew"

The Bishop smiled " Well maybe , maybe not Gideon , he had a thirst for money and power not learning "

Gideons health started to detriate badly . He now rarely left his bed , relying instead on his closest advisors to work around his bedside .

" I have a favour I need "

His assistant put his ear to Gideons mouth as he whispered .

" Yes sir , I will do that and will not inform the inner sanctum , I promise " he replied walking away.

" Gideon whispered " Quickly"

Gideon handed him the instruction on a folded piece of paper .

Three weeks passed and Gideons time was now running out . His Physician was virtually by his bedside permenantly . But Gideon had reason to live just a little longer .

The snow falling heavily outside created the perfect Christmas Eve as his assistant handed him a silver tray with a telegram on it .

He reached behind Gideon to prop him up placing a bolster cushion behind his back .

Opening the telegram he held it close to his to his face to read . THen screwing the paper into a tight ball as if in prayer . The telegram had read

COLLET DEAD

DUTY DONE

Gideon smiled weekly and turned to his assistant .

" Thank you .......it is God's will "