1• When The Moon Bleeds

"Who are you?" Asked a strange little boy.

His eyes were the angry colour of storm clouds, as though he'd captured the darkness of their wrath with two mighty hands and forced them prisoner in the cage of his iris with brute strength.

The stranger was patient with her.... Would wait a thousand years for her answer if so be it.

Bewildered, she couldn't respond.

She didn't remember.

~

"Pretty reds and pretty greens." The angel murmured in her sleep, her voice as gentle as a caressing breeze.

She'd been having the same dream for three nights, whispered the same words like a broken record. A mantra it was, that slipped from her tongue like melted butter on a knife.

The Angel curled up instinctively. It were as though she were trying to sooth a gaping hole in her heart—a mysterious emptiness she would have sworn wasn't there before while she continued to usher those same words again and again.

"Reds.... Pretty greens... And pretty reds."

Her finger twitched.

Daena, the leopard of myth and legend, was alarmed.

Her pupils thinned into slits, regarding the child with a motherly concern. The beast nudged her snout against her silken hair, pushing gently against the crown of the girls head—urging her to wake with a rumble in her throat.

The predators limbs stiffened. Her sharp gaze fixed onto the girls creeping muscle spasms.

A solicitous huff came from her cub, Skye, who joined her mother in trying to wake the girl by pushing against her shoulder. The shoulder fell back limply, the angel still asleep.

Considering how comfortable Aura was, she wouldn't be waking so easily. Skye's body emanated the heat of a blanket, her thick fur acting as the perfect cushion for little Aura's head. The tiny angels frame, skinny and frail, was sandwiched between the two snow leopards. Something that easily felt like sleeping between clouds.

"Pretty reds and pretty greens." She murmured again, deep in her slumber. Her lips brushing against the white hairs hanging from Skye's ear which flapped in reaction.

Suddenly, the girl gasped with a jerk of her shoulder.

The mother huffed a gust of air onto her face, hackles raised in apprehension.

"Pretty reds... Pretty greens." The angels stomach heaved. Then her legs joined the ruckus, shaking as though malevolent energy had possessed her. It wasn't long before her entire body trembled against the ground.

Skye and Daena jumped to their feet.

It was equivalent to watching someone being electrocuted.

This was not normal, not for an angel.

The guardians were a state of panic, raising on all fours and leaving her curled on the ground alone as they attempted to bring the child back to consciousness.

Just when the leopards began to debate between themselves who should fetch her father, Michael, her entire body froze still, mid movement. Her legs, her arms and neck, shoulders and hands, all suspended in mid action until—

—Aura whimpered in pain.

Her body went limp against the floor.

Not a single ounce of movement was made between anybody in the room as they all waited in baited silence. Skye's padded paws prepared to take a running leap out of the door to fetch the first angel she could find at the first sign of a single tremor.