36• Pretty Reds, Pretty Greens

"Er..." Tanya mumbled, as if to bring some sort of sound to this awkward silence.

In Aura's incessant rambling about naked men, she had stumbled upon a small lake in the rainforest. It was an opening in the forest where the trees broke away from each other, giving space for the sky. Light trickled into running water which fell from a stone cliff.

It was here that Skye had followed her, Amos too once he'd finished eating. Tanya held back with Hayden as he collected himself and pulled on a pair of pants that they'd had stored God knows where, and then before you knew it, two angels, two shifters and a leopard sat in front of a lake like old friends as though they hadn't just escaped death by a hair and possibly lost everyone they knew and loved.

Well, except for Amos. He was old enough to have likely experienced something like this ten times over. Not to mention he was invisible the whole time... so it wasn't like he got attached to anyone.

Plus... they were hardly a band of friends sitting together if the way Hayden was silently burning and avoiding eye contact indicated anything.

The Angel beside Aura was strangely silent too.

So like the expert ice breaker she had decided to be, Tanya chirped up with a positive, "So what's the plan of action-" Slapping her hands together in excitement, "Spill."

"Tanya are you so old that the concept of death is foreign to you? Maybe protecting that little boy was just for show," Hayden muttered dryly, falling back on his elbows to stare at the sky. "But some of us have just lost and left family behind."

Her stomach burned with shame.

"I'm sorry Hayden." Tanya said, fiddling with her fingers.

Her heart clenched at the memory of the small life she had failed to protect.

She didn't really stick around people long enough to get attached to be stung by the idea of death, so what happened at the compound wasn't such a hit to her as it would be to anyone else. But the death of a child is never easy.

"Do you think anyone survived?" Aura queried sombrely.

Something cold brushed against the hair on the back of Tanya's neck at the thought of it.

She thought of Marcus.

"It's unlikely." Said the ... thing beside her.

Tanya didn't quite know what to call him.

He was sinfully handsome. Arguably one of the most beautiful people she's ever seen.... She couldn't deny that. She totally understood why Aura went bat shit crazy after him, she'd probably have fallen for those smoky grey eyes had she met him first.

But it didn't take from what she'd seen.

Not so long ago he was eating a demon... like a demon.

Yes they were angels once, but the savagery behind it as though he were no more than beast was unsettling. Unsettling and yet strangely familiar all at the same time.

Not to mention the hard angles of his face. Now that the scales and the fangs were all gone... She couldn't tell if it was the jaw structure... she was so old she might have met him before and not remembered.

If not him then maybe a relative.

But as far as angels go, Aura is absolutely stunning, but this guy here could give her a run for her money. She hasn't seen an angel so... striking since Lucifer.

"All of those demons?" He continued, his deep voice reverberating subtly in the earth. It made you wonder what he sounded like yelling. "If even the heavens fell, that sandy place of dusty pits was never going to make it."