11• Rat

"If your eyes open any wider they'll fall out!" Aura snapped uncharacteristically at the shifters gathering around her.

Amos returned to being an invisible presence, forcing her to drag the carcass into base by herself. Though she couldn't see him, she could feel the grin on his lips at watching her haul the demon by its ankles, leaving a thick trail of tar on the floor that she knew she would have to go back and clean before it caught the wrong kind attention.

Acknowledging all of this, her patience hung by a thread.

Moss turned into a dark shade of dirt, fading into to the colour of sand until it was disrupted by a stone path stretching up to a wall forged by witch blood. The wall went out as far as the naked eye could see, pale as white marble. It grazed the lowest clouds and formed a circle large enough to house thousands of shifters on the other side.

Hundreds of stone paths stretched from the walls like spider legs, neither betraying the real entrance. There was no visible door.

You just had to remember which paths led to real entrances. Entrances that could be closed upon attack.

The second line of defence.

The entrance was only open to those it housed, and anyone welcome. It was how Amos was able to come in with her, because she wanted him inside.

And at this very moment, she wanted to give this forsaken corpse an audience with Markus and the rest of her superiors.

"Damn you!" She cried, stumbling as the body hit a ridge.

"Aura?"

Relief! Markus had materialised from the wall and had broke into a light jog to meet her. Clad head to toe in fighting gear, four soldiers trailed behind him.

Good. Bringing the demon must've set off an alarm. "What on—"

"We have a problem." She announced, gesturing to the corpse as she let the ankle fall to the ground, grimacing as black goo splattered onto her right leg.

_

Rayne's emerald eyes regarded the demon corpse on the table with slits for pupils. Her pale skin ghostly under the light of the chandelier.

The snake had grown out her Mohawk, though endeavoured got keep it short throughout the years. Slicked back behind her, a single straight strand fell forward, casting a shadow over her eyes, adding depth to one of her high cheekbones. Her red lips, not even tense with disgust at the creature on the table.

Aura sensed nothing. No emotion, almost as if she was a walking corpse today.

After the barrier had felt the breach of demonic energy, although dead, pass through, and Markus had came with a select group to investigate, they had discreetly surrounded the body to bring him into Markus' study where it now lay decaying on his largest table.

Three shifters other than Markus surrounded it.

Rayne, the serpent. The giant man with the severed eye Aura had come to know over the years as Horas, and a feline shifter.

If she were to open her mouth she could almost taste the lioness' fear.

"And how did you kill it exactly?" Horas voice rumbled, sending vibrations through the floor. His one obsidian eye fixed on Aura fervently.

It made her sick to her stomach.

"I didn't." She replied.

An angel she couldn't lie, but she could evade the truth with expert skill.