43• Voyagers

It felt like a never ending fever dream.

Weightless, sightless, she could've been a speck of dust in outer space were it not for the aquatic body she was tied to.

In and out of consciousness, she couldn't tell if the fleeting moment of blue she spotted briefly in the distance, radiant as a star and sparkling just like one, was delirium. Was that her friend waving goodbye?

There was some sort of ruckus behind her, glittering gates and towering marble homes. Humanoid merfolk and folk not so human. The burst of movement, rumbling activity and a cacophony of whale music in the distance, haunting yet beautiful.

It was a city, a happy, thriving melting pot of underwater cultures in their aquatic ecosystem.

It was a beautiful kaleidoscope of colour, life untouched by the darkness above causing an ache in her soul. And just as fast as she'd glimpsed it, it was gone.

Nothing but a speck of light in the distance that shrank until it was no more.

Then it went dark again, and she couldn't figure left from right or north from south. It was strange, trusting strangers with her life. Being unable to do anything but be still and believe they were taking her to safety.

Before she could question it, the temperature of the water began to drop.

Aura didn't know much about the world beneath the sea, elusive as they are, but she was aware that they had connection points between worlds so long as there were vast bodies of water.

The exact location wasn't known to anyone else but them. But knowing her destination, Aura had to assume that this is what was happening.

Why else would the temperature drop to freezing depths, to a point where her own body was uncomfortable. The water started to change from its silken consistency to something thick, that resisted against the sharks pushing tail.

Despite that, the shark continued to cut through, until it got so heavy it may aswell have been concrete crushing to her organs. Coupled with the sub zero temperatures it was crippling. Her survival instincts had her clutching the rope if only to release herself to safety when suddenly...

It stopped.

She was weightless again.

But the type of weightless you'd experience floating in the skies. Not thousands of feet below the sea.

Still sightless, and now perplexed, Aura didn't have time to wonder the marvel behind it before the familiar feel of silken water skimmed against her once again.

Warm. Delicious to her bones.

And then the light of the skies cut through, casting her world in violet.

It must be dusk.

She could see Tanya to her left once again. The mirrored expression of wonder.

And then there was a sound.

So beautiful it called to her, a voice like honey to her mind breathing a wordless melody. Her eyes searched for a source until it landed on a female, skin like ivory with molten red lips and amber brown eyes. Dark hair kissing her naked back.

She swam up beside her and kept pace with the shark effortlessly, a curious smile gracing her lips. They parted and she kept singing, and rather than shocking Auras body into pain, it was a gentle caress around her limbs, gentle as the fingers she traced against her jaw.

Auras eyes slipped shut, letting herself fall victim to this beauty, when a clash of sound screeched against her ears like a fork on a plate.

Cringing she opened her eyes to see a guard snapping at the red lipped woman, who cracked back with a mouthful of rows of teeth. It was horrifying, the way her lips peeled back so her jaw could dislocate and expose them to her perceived threat.

The threat, which had separated her from Aura, keeping her at a strong distance with a spear.

Her melody had turned into the stuff of nightmares, but Aura didn't have to bare it long when the creature glanced back at her and decided it not worth the hassle. She slinked away, her lower body a tail like white marble that blended into her skin, and then she was gone.

Terrible, she heard Amos voice drip into her mind.

What? She communicated back.

That siren wanted to eat you and you would have let her, he chuckled darkly, what happened to all those years of training?

Aura stilled. Embarrassment creeped up on her like a bucket of cold slime.

Even now as she looked down at her body, her fingers were raw, as if they'd cut themselves trying to release the rope while her mind was trapped.

She wasn't aware of sirens existing in the shifter realm— which meant—

We've arrived.