37• Garden of Ju

Aura felt her body jerk to awareness as though something had grabbed her soul.

Hands splayed, she reached to the ground to steady her body, her vision rocking with each pulse of her heart.

When it all eventually slowed, her elbows were too weak to keep her propped up so she collapsed back onto mossy ground and groaned, trying to ride out the sudden wave.

"Hey," Murmured a concerned voice.

Strong hands wrapped around her torso and lifted her to a warm chest. "What's wrong?" It rumbled.

Those hands started to rub soothing circles into her back, easing the wave of nausea that wanted to consume her. "Hakeesee..." came the voice again.

"Am... Amo.." Her words were coming out slurred.

She felt her head being lifted by a pressing weight on either side of her face.

"Open your eyes." He said.

When had she closed them?

Perhaps they'd gotten heavy from her swaying vision.

But she did as he said and fought to open her eyes. It felt like a herculean effort, but she got there in the end. She was welcomed by the sight of achingly familiar grey orbs, white speckled and cloudy like a grey sky during a thunderstorm.

I love his eyes.

"Thank you." He chuckled.

Aura's cheeks burned.

"What's ... happening?" She just about managed.

She tried to focus on his face, but it kept moving.

Or was that her vision again?

Amos pressed her against his chest with a heavy sigh. "It's the first wave. You've started your iluo."

"... What?"

Despite never hearing the word before, she couldn't help but focus on the tinge of sadness she felt from him as he said that.

"Ilou. Your ascension. The last awakening of your powers." Those hands returned to rubbing gentle circles into her back. "Wings should come out of here soon. Not long now."

"If Im half human," She mumbled with a heavy tongue, "Would I still get wings?"

She felt him still thoughtfully beneath her.

"Truthfully, I have no idea how this will play out. Your the first nephilim born in the heavens in all of time," He explained, "The others were giants of the Adam's world who abused their strength and you're hardly 10 feet tall..."

Despite her delirious state, she cracked a smile.

"... You're very different. I forget you're half mortal most of the time." He mused.

"I want it to stop." She groaned with clenched eyes. Her head was starting to hurt.

"Go back to sleep." He began to stroke lazy circles into her scalp. "It'll pass when you wake up. I've got you."

With each rhythmic circle her limbs grew heavier.

"I had... a dream—" She tried to say.

But he cut her off with a gentle shush. And suddenly the dream didn't feel so important. What did, was this terrifyingly muscled body beneath her, and the soothing circles being rubbed into her head.

An owl hooted in the distance, and before she knew it, she was falling asleep to the warmth of a fallen angel.

Before she was taken to a land of dreams, she just about managed to mumble it out, "I remember. I know who you are."