29• Redemption

Her mind was set.

As soon as her legs were strong enough to walk she pushed herself to her feet despite Tanya's protest. Protest which fell onto dead ears.

She had eaten with them, stuffed her face with berries and vegetation from the forest, waiting for her body to wake up. She had already slept on Skye's back, and though her limbs still ached but not to the point of collapse, Aura didn't have the luxury of a full night of rest.

Every second that passed was a second away from him and Aura would be damned if she let anyone keep her away.

Skye's bright blue eyes blinked at her, waiting for her command.

"So you're just going to leave us here?" Tanya cried, flailing her arms in exasperation behind her.

They had spent the last few hours together in baited silence hidden amongst the trees. Tanya afraid to say the wrong thing and Hayden waiting for the next move.

It was the first sound since Aura announced she was going after him.

Aura glanced behind the group, to the direction where smoke still trickled the skies. A part of her vaguely wondered what could be done for the rest of the forest, before the hell fire could devour the rest of it. Would it die out? Could it be drowned out by rain?

"You're both more than capable of being able to look after yourselves." Aura responded almost robotically as Skye lowered to her haunches.

Tanya huffed in outrage. "You don't get to leave me."

Aura slid a calf around her other side and settled herself onto Skye's back. When the leopard rose, Aura looked down at the two shifters as though she were on a horse.

It's safer if I did. Aura thought to herself.

Despite the encroaching flames, they would know how to survive it.

What she was about to do however?

It could be suicide. Aura didn't want to drag them into this.

Besides, this was personal.

She owed it to her family, to her people.

"I'm coming with you." Tanya bit, folding her arms as though it were final.

Aura's gaze lingered on the Phoenix expressionlessly, careful not to let any emotion slip through her eyes before she turned away.

She was about to urge Skye to move when, "Do you even know where to look?!"

Aura paused.

She knew where they were headed, and despite the precious hours lost, there was still a chance she could make it before the descent.

"How do you track something that flies??" Tanya yelled. "Can you even fly? Do you have wings?"

Aura flinched.

"I can. I can help you, I can even trace the demons energy in the sky." Tanya explained. "Let me go up and you follow me, I'll even be able to see if there's any danger ahead— please. Aura I know you're feeling a lot of things but I won't let you abandon me especially when I don't know if I'll ever be able to find you again if you leave."

Abandon.

It was that word that did it for her.

Because essentially, if she left without them when they wanted to come... that's what she would be doing.

Aura steeled her heart before she could allow herself to feel emotions that would be detrimental to the mission.

"Okay."