18~Garden

Markus watched from the highest point in the walls, a secretive location in a corner, where he could asses the threat discreetly through a window glamoured by magic.

The skies beyond him were tinged a blood red, as though the flames engulfing the forest were sent from hell itself. Smoke like death caressed the air fervently, wafting ever closer towards the compound and destroying the air quality.

He could not allow his thoughts to wonder to the suffering wildlife, could not allow himself to empathise with all of those families that were forced to run away looking for new homes, only to discover the fire was set on devouring them all. An iron wall enclosed his emotion, blocking anything out that would hinder the sense of calm he would need to think.

He had an army behind him... but so did his adversary.

His own soldiers were powerful, but the army of beasts across the wall screaming taunting profanities and making gruesome displays of the shifters that couldn't be saved... they were fallen.

Every single demon was once an angel in heaven that had been seduced into betraying their creator and forming a rebellion out of jealousy for mankind and their supremacist ideologies.

Each one was cursed upon their downfall—turned from something with an ethereal beauty into the stuff of nightmares.

If one didn't know their history, it would be an easy mistake to assume demons were completely separate beings... but Markus couldn't afford to make such a mistake and would not underestimate his enemies.

He knew that the parasites infecting his forest and surrounding the walls were lesser fallen angels, purely because of how pitifully hideous the creatures below were.

It was almost like the Father had a sense of humour when placing the curse.

Since when they were in grace, they had all discarded their humility and became arrogant enough to believe themselves above all else, the ill bestowed upon the lower rank was that they were turned into something no better than a pitiful animal.

For their superiors, it was different. Each one was affected individually depending on who they were and what they cared about.

Though rumour had it that their king...

He couldn't manifest here physically so right now he wasn't an immediate problem.

It was rare for his soldiers to come across demons, though they were thoroughly educated on what they were and how to defeat them.

The fact that vampires hadn't been sent- that an entire legion of demons were on the other side of the wall, burning his home all for one person-

-no. Not just any person. Markus pushed through his irritation and remembered who Aura was to him, to Michael and potentially every person alive.

He would not give her up...

One of the healers had already come to inform him that mermen were in the process of securing the sewage to ensure Aura's escape.

He was aware that Aura was often in proximity to them whenever she went swimming ashore, however he had no idea she had developed a friendship so strong that they were willing to risk lives to help her.

Had he known before he probably would have tried to end it there... thankfully it worked in their favour.

Markus side eyed the enchantress beside him distrustfully.

To become a witch... a human had to give their soul up to the demon king.

It was why her eyes were engulfed in a terrifying darkness.