15• Smoulder

The compound was in a state of chaos.

Aura's kill had attracted an audience. It wasn't long before Markus came charging to the scene, darkness befalling his features. He said nothing to anyone, save for the orders he barked to have Skye taken to the medical room. Five bulky males emerged from the crowd to gather around the enormous beast, lifting her gingerly having noted her exposed innards.

The angel spotted the patrol returning through the materialising gate and felt their sorrow latch around her soul with cold spindly fingers from across the distance. All it took was one look from Hayden, with his battered and broken figure lumbering through with a body draped across his shoulders to want to send Aura running away in cowardice.

Instead she raced to the wolves and threw the arm of a naked female around her neck, determined to see them through to the medical room. She ignored the conjecturing gazes of the gathering shifters and protected the girls modesty the best she could.

Every single person in the compound was trained to deal with death, to never allow themselves to succumb to the grief of having a fallen comrade, but one fallen wolf struck all werewolves in a way no other shifter could relate to and despite any rivalries between shifters, the air was universally somber.

She zoned out throughout the entire journey, praying Amos could find the missing wolf —even if they were dead to at least bring peace of mind with a proper burial.

Before long they were passing through the sheet doors of the medical ward, a large spacious area with rows of operating tables lined in threes.

One glance at the furthest corner confirmed Skye was already being treated by two witches, their illuminated hands passing over her body.

It unnerved Aura the way the leopards innards relocated themselves and the flesh began to restitch. Witches were unnatural creatures, former humans that made deals with malevolent beings for magic. However despite the deed, it didn't change the fact that these very creatures were saving her best friend.

She stomached it, despite her distaste, and turned away when one fixed her atramentous gaze, lacking any whites, towards her as though she could hear her thoughts.

The angel helped the wolf settle onto the table, and observed, guilt ridden, as the rest of the pack handled each other until they could be seen by the witches.

Despite her failure, they didn't say anything, instead the injured acknowledged Aura's help with a smile.

It took all of her strength to return it, weak as it was, before she ran away unable to stay and see anything through.

As soon as she got to her room, she locked herself in, threw off her blooded clothes and collapsed onto the ground.

She curled her shaking body into a fetal position, and stayed like that for days.

~

While her leopard guardian spent the next two nights away recovering from her wounds, Aura was losing her mind at the lack of a familiar presence. Since departing for the missing pack member, Aura's silent protector hadn't returned and she felt her sanity slipping away.

At some point, the angel finally uncurled herself to wash off the stain of demon blood, but only for her bed. Closing the door behind her, she stared at the torn pile of clothes she had discarded after that night, reached into her dresser for a long shirt and crawled into her covers.

Being in this room by herself felt completely unnatural. She had grown so used to seeing Skye curled into her cot in the corner, to feeling Amos watching over her as she slept.