39• Knock Knock

A bronze hand pressed against her stomach gently, laying her out flat on the ground before him. Amos lowered his eyes to her core as his hands hooked under her knees to spread them apart. His gaze was appraising as he drank her in. The attention made her flush.

He paused for a moment. When she looked down and caught him staring at her she found herself breathless, locked in the intensity of his eyes that after all this time she still wasn't used to. He said nothing directly, but he didn't need to. The look alone was one of patience, permission, allowing her a moment to change her mind.

Aura reached down and palmed his cheek, her chest fluttering when he leaned into her touch. A smile teased her lips, she opened her mouth to usher words of affection—

"AURA!" Came a cry from a distance.

Stunned, the two angels shot to attention, turning to face the direction.

Shuffling water, and then abrupt silence.

Aura could feel her heart beat in her ears as her senses stretched to understand what was going on.

She couldn't see her friends.

Her eyes searched for a familiar white pelt and found nothing.

Just as she began to reach out, Amos pulled her towards him and deeper into the pool, until they were no more than two sets of eyes peaking over glittery water. The dim circumstances of their situation was leaching it of its initial shine.

"There." Amos whispered, pointing to the direction of where they first entered the haven.

Something drooled in the darkness, beady eyes looking in with avid hunger.

Demon. She couldn't figure out which type it was from here though.

"How did it find us?" She frowned, her heart soaring in fear for her friends. The distance they had covered should have given them more than enough time to walk to a new safe spot from here.

"I'm not... sure?" Hearing Amos sound as perplexed as she was only raised the hackles on the back of her neck.

"It can't come in." She affirmed, though her voice shook with clearly wavering confidence.

"No..." Her mate confirmed, his sharp gaze assessing the perimeter. Suddenly he latched onto her wrist and tore her out of the pool, moulding her body to his with ease.

"What are you doing?" She gasped, exasperated.

Amos crouched and scooped their clothes in a single arm. Folding his wings tightly behind his back he moved stealthily along the stone wall by the side of the pool until they rounded a corner and were hidden from the beast behind them.

"Why can't you just—" his hands were stiff against her lips, cutting off her words.

Don't speak.

Why? She frowned. Why can't we just go down there and kill whatever it is?

There's too many. His silvery gaze cut to slits as they searched the shrubbery of the forest ahead of them. They're trying to surround the perimeter. Stay quiet, stay hidden we don't know how they found us.

Aura felt their bodies ripple as he cloaked them with invisibility.

But Skye, Ta—