44• Adventures

They stood ashore a tropical beach.

This world was beautiful. So beautiful it called on her to relax her senses and lower her guard. The lulling glow of the tide, the rich dusk that fell over skies like a drawing curtain. The sweet yet rich woodsy scent coming from the forest behind them and the unfamiliar trees that opened up in greeting once they stepped ashore.

She had to force herself to remember where she was.

The danger that was guaranteed to lurk behind every nook and cranny. That siren was nothing but a tease to what this world was rumoured to beheld.

There was a reason the demons leave it alone.

It was beguiling. In the worst sort of way.

Everything Aura knew about this world was of stories her father used to tell her. Of a world where the people couldn't lie, like the angels, yet they found slippery ways to be just as deceitful.

He'd told her at first glance, it was its own heaven of sorts. Filled with beauty and wonder, and odd sorts that could charm their way into the darkest hearts. But that many of the odd sorts were poisonous in their charisma, their rituals and customs as brutal as any demon, if not more so.

And they were powerful.

So powerful, they were prohibited from venturing into the other realms.

The occasional rip and tear meant the odd few were able to sneak into the Adam world and wreak havoc, but they were swiftly returned, the vast majority kept in check by their Queen.

Aura could bring to memory all the stories her father used to tell her but it was nothing like seeing the real thing.

So when a small bundle of warm glowing light broke free from the tree line, Aura gasped.

Pixie, Amos mused from beside her. His lashes narrowing over mirthful grey eyes.

And sure enough, as it got closer she could see— legs! A dainty little foot! Vaguely make out a sharp chin and eyes like fire.

It stopped a few feet ahead of them, straightening its spine and puffing out its chest. Aura's own bubbled with laughter that she tamped down by holding her breath.

Is this to be our guide? Aura wondered, shooting her mate a cunning glance.

Official palace representative actually, he huffed back as though amused.

Charming, she thought. Charming indeed.

Beside her, Tanya knelt at her knees, groaning as though waking from a violent hangover. Standing, Hayden was more alert, though his eyes were red and raw. The two had been knocked out the entire journey, both tied to sharks, waking only after the guards had broken the surface and lowered their bodies upon the breaking tide.

"Follow me," the ball of light spoke, with disregard for the groups exhaustion. It had a voice like a bell. "Her Highness awaits you."

Aura turned back, to see the guards they'd stepped away from, who hovered 7 feet above the water, their tails holding them firm. They had waited to send them off. She could make out shark fins in the distance, unable to come any closer.

She looked into the guards silver visors, casting a lilac glow in dusk light, and tried to discern eyes behind the shadows. "Thank you. For helping us." She called, solemnly.

They responded with silence, choosing that moment to slink away. But before the last one had turned, she swore she saw him incline his head as though to say 'you're welcome'.

The mermen disappeared beneath the waters surface, leaving a violent glow beneath the sea until they were no more. Her escorts had returned to their own world.

Aura turned to face her new guide. That little glow of burning light, which fascinated Tanya were her widened eyes any indication.

It began to move. After a beat, the group followed in silence. Skye's paws heaviest in the sand with each slap.

Three brown crates with enough space for two each awaited them by the trees.

"Please enter. The woods are too dangerous to walk by foot and it would take too much time." The little pixie humphed, chin high. "This will be our form of transportation."

Just as she wondered if she would have to physically climb in, a door swung open.

Aura entered the first one, noting it was completely bare. "Nowhere to sit?" She asked sheepishly, unsure if the question made her sound ungrateful. "I'm sorry, we've just had a really long week."

"Sit." It chimed.

"Where... ? On the floor— oh" in her demonstration to display the floor, Aura's hand bumped into something sturdy and invisible. Surprised, she lowered her body onto it and found it extremely comfortable.

Amos settled in beside her, a wall of just pure body, taking up the rest of the space. She would have teased him for his bulking muscle had she not more pressing matters like watching to make sure Skye could comfortably fit in the next crate.

Hers seemed to have no invisible chairs and just enough space for the leopard to lay down. Tanya and Hayden entered the last one.

As soon as the two were seated, the ball of light rung like a doorbell. "To the palace!" It sung.

And they were off in such a speed Aura choked on air.