6• Trust

Aura's eyes didn't seem to open wide enough.

No matter how much she tried, in the darkness it still felt like she could go wider.

The only sounds she could hear were the soft wisps of her intake, and out-taking of breath, the pulse loud in her ears and Skye's gentle snores. All she could feel was shock. And unadulterated surprise coursing through her veins.

She hadn't expected that.

Her eyes couldn't open any wider.

It was a ray of light, that shone where she stared. Like a warm arrow, with a deathly straight shot. Illuminating dust particles that danced like the air were a stage.

The light came from the small window, though you could hardly call it that, on the top corner of the room. So high it would be impossible to look through it unless you stacked three chairs. So small that you wouldn't see very much from it either. About the size of an iphone 6. No bigger, no smaller.

It allowed a very insufficient amount of light, and hadn't her sight been perfect under darkness she might as well have been blind.

I was afraid for you....

Aura blinked, latching her gaze onto Skye, peaceful, healed, resting. Stretched lazily over her legs, in the tiny room. Tinier than the one she had been thrown in before.

Her breath shuddered in the silence.

Before she could take action, approaching footsteps stroked the floor beyond her room. They moved in a slow, cat like pace, with a slow feline silence, coming to an end behind the moveable barrier between the person, and her room.

One might have decided to jump to conclusions and decide it were an intruder, a dangerous figure beyond her door. But Aura glanced at Skye, wide awake now, rolling onto her feet to stretch into an arch. Calm, unafraid. She knew who it was before the hinges of the door across from her whined.

The door groaned, light seeping into the room, as it gave sight to Markus.

He cast shadows with his body, his eyes, bright blue in the darkness, "Get up."

"Where are we going?" Her voice cracked, having just woken from being nine hours without speaking.

Skye leaped off of the bed with a soundless thud as Aura tore the thin covers off of her body. It took her a moment to scramble onto her feet to slip on the thin, plain slippers given to her.

"To train."

She glanced at him, and then quickly looked away before her expression gave up too much. "I thought I wasn't going to train with the snake anymore."

"The snake?" Markus frowned, leaning against the doorway as he folded his thick arms. "You mean Rayne?"

Well, the name suited her, Aura thought to herself. There was a certain brutality to it that fit her person.

"If she's the woman with the purple eyes then yes." Aura muttered, head bowed in a slight fear of having said something wrong. Her hair tumbled off of her shoulders to curtain her at the action.

From what she had witnessed with how the other instructors treated their students, and the way Rayne liked to grab onto her ear, she was afraid of being--and expected--to be treated the same way by Markus.

But he did none of the sort.

"Her animal's a basilisk snake, so well spotted." He drawled, sapphire orbs following her as she sauntered passed him with Skye on her tail. "But no."