26• Chaos and Carnage

Amos watched her leave with suspended breath, a muscle ticking at his jaw. Despite his only priority being her safety ... reluctantly he understood. He knew the motivation that pushed each of her steps forward, out of respect it was a drive he wouldn't interfere with.

Forearm muscles locked with concern, he glanced at the skies.

The smoke was set on a mission to dominate the heavens, though it only served to darken it, drastically. That familiar scent of burning flesh should have sent a thrill down his spine.

Fingers twitching sporadically over the hilt of the dagger at his hip, his instincts were all over the place. A part of the fallen angel had had enough and was ready to ransack this entire realm, be done with it and everyone and whisk Aura away to somewhere the carnage couldn't reach them. Somewhere like the places he showed her in her dreams. But the other part of him knew she wouldn't want that.

She wouldn't be at ease, not yet.

"I know I shouldn't complain but this isn't exactly easy." He exasperated, rolling his shoulders as eyes fixed towards the retreating sun. "You're really pushing it."

His focus returned to Aura's shrinking silhouette, grimacing at the idea of her bare feet against all of those rocks. He moved with the realisation that he should've carried her to the skies and helped her search rather than allow her to subject herself to that pain when he heard a single stone scatter behind him, despite the deafening roar of battle.

"What are you doing Hades?"

Amos stilled.

Gravel crunched beneath leather bound sandals.

"All the way over here?"

He turned, wings protesting in agony from bearing all of that weight.

If he had been human, or even a shifter, he wouldn't have survived that. He wouldn't have been able to protect Aura.

That voice... widening his stance for balance, he knew who it was before even facing him.

With tones that reverberated in a way that only reminded him of rumbling earth, not many could sneak up behind him like this. Few had the stealth that came with a millennium of experience.

On second thought... he was glad Aura had run off.

It didn't take much for Amos to adopt a lazy half grin, projecting a leer that screamed blood he retorted, "I should be asking you the same."

A few inches taller than the demon, they were eye to eye. He didn't yield from his opponent. Ivory, with no pupil or iris. Grey orbs versus white. Those soulless orbs were unyielding.

"You really are one creepy looking bastard." Amos snickered, hand raising to his lips coyly. He battered his eyelashes like a little girl, catching the flash of irritation. "I never get used to it."

Mammon's lip curled, but he didn't move. His broad swords were unsheathed, brandished in each hand. Despite his tony expression, his stiff body language betrayed his wariness. According to the blood drying on his chin, his muddied skin and stained tunic, he obviously couldn't help himself.

The demon had seen the carnage and had to have a taste.

Amos almost felt his groin harden at the thought of tearing into his intestines, feeling the raw meat slap against his own chin and that warm beating heart in his mouth. His half grin stretched into a full one, like a conniving little cat.