42• Expatriate

Nothing eventful happened.

She didn't even die.

She did what most people do when they hit water—sank and came back up.

It wasn't long before the rest of them joined her, and then they waited. Submerged in the ocean.

She stopped paying any mind to the rest of them, not interested in observing Hayden's pissing contest or Tanya's morbid fascination with deep sea. At first she wasn't entirely sure what to look for, until she noticed Skye had stilled, and that the leopards attention was zeroed to directly below them.

They came from the murky depths beneath the sea. Lean masculine figures with illuminating blue limbs, skin smooth like stone and probably just as hard. Each wore a protective layer of silver armour that appeared to meld into their skin like an exoskeleton. A belt of green rope around their waists.

All four came accompanied with a creature in tow.

They were a species of shark Aura had never seen before. Pearly white, slim snouts and slender bodies, grey stripes lined the sides of each body like a tiger pattern. They had to have been 9 feet long at the very least.

Carved into each side of their faces was a beady black eye that regarded her keenly. So keen it was unnerving.

Tanya on the other hand, was about to part with her eyeballs in her excitement. Aura couldn't help likening her to a fish.

The mermen approached, holding silver tritons in each hand. Upon closer inspection, she had to appreciate the formidable physique, wondering how they'd measure up in combat.

They looked made of solid marble.

And glowed like bioluminescent algae.

The largest merman opened his blue lips. A silver visor shadowed his features, making it impossible to decipher aggression. Stunned, her brows pinched together, realising she had never heard her mermaid friend speak under the sea before.

And then she discovered why.

It was only a split second, but in that moment of attempted communication she couldn't move. Her body seized within itself and left her vulnerable.

A hand folded around her elbow and her control came back. It was Amos, who's eyes glowed with murderous intent towards the mermen responsible until one of their subordinates sent a sharp thwack across the leaders head, cutting him off.

Aura clutched her mates wrist gratefully, not sure how he even had the power to help her in that moment. Or how he even kept composure on his own.

The mermen had a silent argument with their hands, communicating through gestures and body language. Meanwhile, Aura felt like her brain was still recovering, and trying to process the onslaught of what just happened.

Sluggish, it took her a moment to realise when there was a shark beneath her and a merman at her other side. She couldn't see his eyes but could tell through his profuse bowing he was trying to express a severe apology.

In her delirium, she glanced around, looking for the others, to see them all accompanied. Tanya unconscious and Hayden close.

Amos was unfazed, his other arm supporting Skye.

The mermen's hand movement turned erratic, and it took her a moment to figure out that he wanted her to hold onto the sharks fin by her head.

She tried but she couldn't keep a firm grip.

It was useless.

The merman produced rope of. what she now realised was sea weed, from around his waist, but it looked strong and well woven to suit the purpose of tying her to the sharks body.

He gestured for his men to do the same for Hayden and Tanya and they made quick work. Amos declined, relinquishing Skye's body and allowing her to be tied. Then, after taking enough space from everyone, a tail formed from his lower back, dark and scaled like a reptile. Shaped like a snake but thick as a crocodile. It kept going until it disappeared in the shadows of the deep sea. She tried not to let it unnerve her.

The merman eyed him warily.

Then they swam ahead, careful not to expose their backs to Amos. Her stomach dropped at the sight of their tails too, which went on so long they disappeared into the dark murky depths of the ocean. Flat, but twisting like an eel, thick as a shark.

It was that moment she decided she didn't want to make enemies of any of these people.

And before she could blink, they were cutting through the ocean at a speed so fast her vision went black.