12• Important

"Amos?"

"Akeesa?" He responded.

"Why do you call me that?" Aura frowned in the darkness of her room.

Hakeesee, akeesa, akamore, the variations of the word were endless. She knew it was a term of endearment, but it was a word she never understood.

"Because you are someone important to me." He rubbed circles into her wrists, tracing her veins.

They lay in an upgraded version of the room where she had first met Markus. Larger, lacking windows, though the ceiling was taller, she'd become so used to it over the years, had grown to love it.

Nothing fancy, bland at best. Her single bed had been upgraded to a king size, and a book shelf and desk had been installed into the right corner. A small night stand beside her with a lamp. A large cot taking the majority of space on the other corner for Skye to sleep.

The walls were still grey, the floor now dark wooden panels.

The two angels now lay in her bed, Aura wearing nothing but a long shirt to hide her modesty. She couldn't see Amos, but she could feel his body against her, his steady breathing and his fingers stroking her wrists.

She curled against him, feeling an arm slip beneath her neck.

"Can I hold you?" He asked, almost timidly.

Aura laughed into the darkness of her room, Skye sleeping soundly through the noise. "You've been smacking my head without permission since I was a child but now you want to ask me if we can cuddle?"

She felt him smile. "It's different now."

"How so?"

"Well." The stroking of her wrist ceased, fingers deciding instead to trail the length of her arm, leaving goosebumps behind. Aura's involuntary shiver made him chuckle. "You're almost eighteen. You're nearly a fully developed angel, and with that comes feelings you're not used to."

"Such as?" She retorted.

"Your ability to stay naive in a world like this astounds me." Aura felt the rumble of his laughter against her body. She bit down her smile. "You're not used to being this close to a male, first of all."

It was true, in all of her years he never once joined her in bed, instead choosing to loom in a dark corner.

"Well it's not like I can see you right now." She laughed.

Suddenly he appeared before her, and her breath caught in her throat at the intensity in his grey eyes, as if he were looking for her soul.

Male indeed....

She forgot how huge he was, the bed could barely contain his height. His size swallowed hers completely.

She could never get over how beautiful he was.

Amos' fingers traced her collar bone, settling at the base of her neck. Aura's heart thundered against her rib cage, her eyelids lowering with a yearning she didn't understand.

"I know you're attracted to me."

Amos' booming laughter now bounced against the walls as he landed on the floor with a hard thud, jolting Skye awake. Aura had kicked him off the bed.

She turned to her other side so her back could face him.

"I am not attracted to you." The angel grumbled.

"So why could I feel your pulse racing?" He smiled behind her, from the floor.

"Because i felt vulnerable. You could have easily killed me from there!" She exclaimed.