17• Plan

The witch forced Aura into her room, surveying the corridors before following suit.

"What are you doing?" Aura bit, fighting her nerves.

"It's not going to take everyone very long before they figure out who you are. They are all willing to betray you." She rushed, giving Aura's room a thorough sweep with her eyes before making her way to the bed. The witch dropped to her knees and swiped her hand across the floor underneath it.

"Um...?" Aura queried, sensing Amos beside her.

The lack of lighting made the woman look all the more terrifying. Deathly pale, and no whites in her eyes, she was a slight person, with hair so long it reached her knees that now dragged across the floor as she slapped the ground with the palms of her hands, as if trying to invoke some kind of reaction.

Her raven strands were tied in a simple loose braid behind her back, whispers of escaped hairs framing her face, screwed tightly in concentration.

Shiny black boots peaked out from beneath her  brown skirt, torso adorned with a dark corset bodice and puffed sleeves.

"Tell your companion to reveal himself." She muttered nonchalantly, as though it was an ordinary thing. She had a feminine husky voice, her accent tinged with a musical lilt.

Amos didn't give Aura time to react to the witch's announcement, he appeared in an instant.

"You could see me?"

"I could feel you... your power." She corrected, moving away from the bed, her palms still smacking the ground.

Those black orbs steeling, she spoke quietly... as though she felt like her words were dangerous. "We all know who that was."

The fire.

Aura glanced at Amos, but he stared straight ahead at their opponent, inclining towards Aura to form a protective barrier.

They didn't need to communicate with each other, they knew. To the woman,  the silence confirmed their knowledge and understanding of how grave the situation was.

"I'm going to help you." Aura could have sworn she could hear a slight tremor in the woman's voice.

"You want to help me?" Aura mused warily, folding her arms. "As a witch?"

"As a human." She snapped, her gaze now locking onto female's accusingly. "Quick to judge me for a mistake when you know nothing about my story."

The angel felt her cheeks burn, though she didn't let her shame change her features and kept her expression wary.

"What are you planning?" Amos' voice cut through the room, forcing to witch to crane her neck up to meet his gaze.

"We need to speak to her mermaid."

Shock clouded Aura's features, "How do you—"

"I know everything. I've been watching you for a very long time." The witch interjected, moving past Amos to get to Aura's desk. "I was checking for bugs in the ground... there are certain demons that can absorb information by eating the tiniest of insects. Your room is clear."

Aura shivered at the thought.

The woman brought her hands together, separating them before ushering a single word too quietly to pick up.

Instantly, a bowl of water materialised between her hands, and she set it down gingerly on the desk. "This is water from the sea." She reached out a hand, her eyes darting to Aura's.

"What are you going to do?"

"We don't have time for all of these questions." She growled, "Come here. Give me your hand, I'm going to act as a transmitter."