13• Scales

Glancing between Markus and Hayden, Aura huffed into her seat at the plan Markus had just proposed.

Hayden leaned against the study door, muscular arms folded, dark gaze burning into the ground. Markus stood over a heap of paper work, maps and weapon blue prints. Despite the stack of leather books piled on the left side of the oak table, Aura focused on only one, quickly forgetting the conversation the three had just had.

The book was old, hanging by it's bindings, parts of the pages discoloured with age, and— the pages were turning. Amos.

What are you doing? Aura thought, knowing he would be able to hear her thoughts.

This book is old... I've seen it before thousands of years ago.

Stunned, Aura responded with, how old are you exactly?

That's not the point, Aura look at this. The pages had stopped turning.

She looked towards Markus and Hayden to see if either had noticed, or if they were still too busy contemplating the plan for patrol that Markus had presented.

They briefly glanced at her approach the book, lift it to her hands.

Aura felt her mouth go dry.

Do you know who this is? Amos asked her, she sensed his body heat behind her, peering over her shoulder to look at the pages.

Hand drawn in intricate detail, the skies were torn open, spilling streaks of light. It had spat out a man covered in flames, his wings reduced to the bones.

Something like this shouldn't even be here...

Aura glanced suspiciously at Hayden, who now watched her intensely.

There are summoning spells, instructions to dark magic and how to make deals trading your soul... Amos' voice sounded wary in her mind.

"What's wrong?" Markus asked her.

Aura kept quiet, turning the pages, each turn showing something new and terrible.

However the only images she cared about were those of the falling angel.

She found him in a new depiction, head clasped between his hands in anguish as he sat on a tall throne of ashes, souls clawing towards him, trying to escape the flames that threatened to engulf them below.

"Why is this here." Aura asked.

"Ah." Markus was beginning to understand. "I've been doing extended research into demons, felt it necessary to look into S—"

"NO!" Aura cried, slamming the book on the table, fingers splayed in anger.

Hayden flinched.

"Don't say his name." Her voice barely came out in a whisper. "It summons him."

Markus' eyes darkened at the obvious display of disrespect, but controlled his temper and nodded in her direction, inclining his chin as though in thought. "I suppose you would know more about it than I would."