Chapter 19: Prey or Predator?

JEN

I threw myself to the ground making Shawn crash into the door. Splinters flew everywhere making me shield my eyes. I quickly got off the ground and darted out the door trying to get away from him as fast as I could.

People were screaming behind me probably at the giant wolf that was racing towards me. I ran outside and tried to shift, only to find out I couldn't. I ran into the woods and tried again remembering the cracking of my bones but, nothing. What the hell!

Shawn howled into the night sky making me jump from fright. How could I have forgotten that he was a killer? And here I was kissing him and enjoying it too!

I could hear his growls getting closer and closer making my heart beat faster and faster. If only he was in human form, I would have kicked his ass but I don't know how to deal with a murderous wolf who I don't want to hurt! What am I going to do? If only Nathan and Zander were here.

I smacked myself when I realized I can have them here.

I opened my mind- link calling them. "NATHAN! ZANDER!" I screamed into their heads.

I guess they both could hear the panic in my voice because they were both talking to me together making me cringe. Their loud voices distracted me from hearing Shawn getting closer. Just as I reached the pack house, I was pushed to the ground.

"Okay guys, don't be mad at me because I know you will, but I went to see Shawn at the hospital and now he is trying to kill me! On top of that, I can't shift!" I said in a rush while pushing Shawn's large teeth out of my face and punching him in the nose. I can't believe he is actually trying to kill me? I knew he hated me but to actually try to kill me, hurt.

My head was silent which had me worried. What if I can't mind-link anymore like I can't shift?

Shawn plunged his claws deep into my arm making me scream out in pain.

"Jen! I'm coming!" I heard Zanders voice. I almost cried in relief.

Nathan pushed Shawn off while Zander shifted into his wolf. Nathan let go of Shawn when Zander tackled him to the ground.

"Are you okay?" Nathan asked when I sat there clutching my throbbing arm.

I ignored his question and asked him a different one.

"Nathan I can't shift? What's wrong with me? Why can't I shift?"

He just stared at me confused, like this was the first time he's heard of something like this. It can't be. They were the warrior pack. They knew everything.

"What do I do Nathan?" I asked him again when he didn't answer me.

"I-I don't know Jen. This is the first time I've head of this."

"A LITTLE HELP PLEASE!" Zander yelled into our heads.

Nathan immediately sprung into action. I watched as my two best friends beat up the guy who was supposed to be the love of my life. I still couldn't help but want to run to shawn's side and defend him even after he almost raped me, attacked me and even tried to kill me. What the hell was wrong with me? No matter how much I tried, I couldn't hate him and all he does is hate me. I had my first kiss with a guy who hates my guts.

I started to feel weak. Weak from the blood loss? Maybe, but then again it wasn't like he had nicked an artery and I was a wolf goddamit I shouldn't feel so weak. The cuts should be healing by now anyways but they weren't.

I stood up only to feel faint. I fell to my knees, scraping them in the process. I screamed as I felt pain coursing through my body. White hot flames licking every nerve.