Chapter 27: Lies and Betrayals: Part Two

JEN

Killing the engine I climbed out the car, Shawn mimicking me. I stretched my stiff back from the long drive.

I looked at Shawn who was stretching his muscled back, his arms in the air. I drooled as I watched his muscles move in his arms as he cupped the back of his head.

We drove for nearly 2 days and I have to say it was the worst time ever. Shawn never uttered a word the whole trip back. He always seemed like he was in deep thought, his forehead never relaxing the three worrisome lines.

Every time I would talk to him or ask him a question he would answer with an "Okay." Or, "Alright." And it was starting to piss me off.

I get that we didn't really know each other and we've only actually started to know each other and not to mention we fell in love too fast but I thought it would be different but this felt like he's not happy with me or something.

I pulled out the minimal amount of cash we had left, walking towards the gas station.

"I'll be right back." I said waving to Shawn who was playing around with his phone. He had gotten it about two days ago and every time we would stop somewhere, he was always messing around with it. I never asked him what he was doing, wanting to give him his privacy.

"Okay." He mumbled. I gritted my teeth and stormed off into the gas station.

The bell rang as I opened the door. A pimpled teenage boy was behind the counter who perked up as soon as he saw me.

I slammed two twenty's on the counter. "Forty on six, please."

And then I was out the door, stomping towards the car still angry at the emotionless Shawn.

I reached the car about to yell at Shawn when I saw him talking on the phone. He was leaning on the passenger side door his left hand on his forehead and his right hand to his ear. He turned his head to look at the gas station and I don't know why but I hid out of his sight. I crouched by the back tire on the drivers side.

"Yes." He sounded stressed.

"I don't know, maybe an hour. Just remember what I said." And then he sounded angry. "I'm serious. If anything happens-." He was whispering now. I strained my ear to hear him but had no luck.

I looked at him with curiosity through the window. Who is he talking to? He hung up and sighed, placing his face in his hands.

What the hell was that about? Should I ask him? I bit my bottom lip in confusion.

I walked around the car to the gas nozzle. Shawn straightened up as he saw me and sat in the car.

After feeding the car some gas, I grabbed the receipt from the pump and sat in the car again, turning on the ignition and peeling out of the gas station, making my way home.

I drummed my fingers on the steering wheel, still wondering if I should ask him. Would he even talk to me?

"So..." I started, finally getting the courage to talk to him. "Who was that on the phone?" I asked him almost sheepishly.

He seemed to tense up. "Uh-" I half expected him to say "okay" and then ignore me. "My mother."

His mother? Oh. I guess that makes sense considering we were headed back. Maybe I should have called mine too.

I dropped it and focused on the road feeling the awkwardness in the air.

Forty five minutes later I turned onto a dirt road which lead to the pack house and just as we got close, I stopped the car behind a tree, away from the trail.