Chapter 26: A Shred of Hope

JEN

We were on the road again, this time Shawn was in the driver seat even though I was against it but he convinced me he was okay to drive.

"Do you want to eat breakfast?" He asked, his eyes focused on the road.

I shrugged and he frowned turning on the radio.

If he's gonna be like that to me, then I will be like that to him.

I looked out the window, my eyes glued to the beautiful scene of trees surrounding the road. I took a deep breath, trying to relax my nervous body. I don't know why I felt so...wrong, like something bad was going to happen.

We ate at a Denny's and then 30 minutes later, we were driving again.

I didn't know where to, though. I guess we were getting as far away from my father and Shawn's enemies but as Shawn had pointed out, he had a lot of enemies. A LOT.

Our best bet would be to flee the country and go to like Switzerland or New Zealand like I wanted to.

I thought about my passport which was in my closet, locked away in a box.

Eh, it was a dumb idea anyways. How are we supposed to get there anyways? The money we had was in the thousands but it was being used for motels, gas and food. Everything else forgotten.

Maybe we should go back? I mean my father and his enemies wouldn't expect us to be back? They would think we ran. This way I can get my and Shawn's passport and get some money from my mother and maybe from his mother to. He hasn't seen her either and I wonder if he even wanted to. He never mentioned her once.

My stomach growled and I looked at the clock. We were driving for hours since we stopped at Denny's. As much as I want to eat I needed to talk to Shawn. The radio was playing softly in the background but it was low enough to have a conversation.

"I think we should go back." My hands were clasped together and I made a confident face to tell him I was serious.

His widened eyes looked at me incredulously. "Are you crazy?! Why would I go back?"

He shook his head like I was being unbelievable. And I was, but it made sense. Everywhere we go, some werewolf will find us and frankly, I'm tired.

"Listen." I pleaded. "No one will even no we went back to last place we want to go. My father is probably following us right now."

Shawn checked the rear view mirror with cautious eyes.

"Let's go eat." I suggested, wanting to be off the road.

Shawn seemed a little jumpy as well, like he was feeling what I was feeling.

Without a word, he parked in front of an old diner that looked at least 70 years old.

As we sat in our seat a middle aged women came bouncing out the back of the diner with a notepad and a pencil.

The diner was deserted even though it was 2 o'clock in the afternoon. This must be a very small town.

The women wore a big smile on her face as she saw us, her eyes crinkling in a nice old lady way.

"Hello Darlings, my name is Martha and I am your waitress." She smiled again when she looked at Shawn but then the strangest thing happened. She gasped.

She stepped back with fear, her eyes widening with terror.

"Martha?" I asked not understanding what was happening even though it was obvious. "Are you okay?"

"I-I-I-" She stuttered, her body shaking. But then she stopped, taking a deep breath of air.

Her rigged body froze as she looked over Shawn and I, her eyes mostly on Shawn.

My hand trembled with fear when I realized what she was. A werewolf. I glanced at Shawn who wore a poker face, staring at his menu. I don't think he realized what just happened.

Martha let out a breath of relaxed air but still kept wary eyes at Shawn.

"Martha?" I asked pretending not to know what I knew she knew.

"Oh I'm sorry dear. I, um, get, um, muscle spasms sometimes. Yeah, that's right." She laughed nervously.

I smiled a tight smile and ordered in one breath.

"I'll take a Burger with a Coke and he'll have the same." I need her to leave.

Shawn gave his menu back to the waitress without looking at her and she seemed to inhale again, trying to confirm what she thought.

As soon as she was out of sight, I looked at Shawn, my eyes wide with fear. His eyes looked pained as he stood from his seat. He knew the waitress recognized him. He took my hand and we ran out of the diner, not looking back.

Shawn raced towards the road going the opposite way we were going.

"Um, Shawn I think we're going the wrong way."

He looked at me a small smile on his lips. "No, we're not."

"Are you sure?" I asked not wanting him to get into anymore trouble.

"That lady could have easily killed me if she knew I was human. She would have taken the knife on our table and shoved it through my heart without me being able to stop her. The only advantage we had was that we smelled human and that she didn't know that the ruthless asshole, Shawn King, me, was human. Do you realize we could have died? I can't believe I didn't remember we were on blood moon's property. I should have known considering I almost wiped out their entire pack." He was breathing heavily.

"She could have killed you today and it's all my fault." He slammed his fist onto the steering wheel making me jump at the movement. He slammed it again, hitting the steering wheel, blow after blow.

"Stop it!" I screamed at him. I grabbed his right hand, clasping it tight in my palm while his left hand was on the steering wheel. I was kind of amazed he never swerved into the lane next to us.

I held his hand to my chest wanting to take his pain away but knew it was almost impossible.

We were weak. The people hunting us are ten times stronger than us. We can't win.

But now, we were going back home and I couldn't help but feel like our bad luck was finally over.

I leaned back into the seat, my hand still holding Shawn's, and smiled.