Chapter 30: I Will

JEN

I feel as if my life has flashed before my eyes way too many times now. But every single time it was filled with a memory. I must have been at least 5 years old and it was my first day of school. I remember clinging to my moms dress afraid of being alone for the first time. She would smile at me and squeeze my tiny hand. "I know you're afraid sweetie but I want you to know something. The moon will always be with you."

Even my tiny brain knew that it was the middle of the day and the moon wasn't to be seen anywhere. "The moon does not leave the presence of the earth my beautiful little wolf. The moon is always there whether we can see it or not. Remember that every time you feel scared or alone, just remember that the moon is there."

Now that I'm older, I know what my mother was saying was complete bullshit but every time I remembered that certain day because after my mom told me that the magical moon would protect me, I marched into that classroom, my head held high.

And now as I lay on the floor gasping for air and clutching for life, I couldn't help but wish the magical moon was real. I didn't want to die, I wanted to live. I wanted to be happy and I deserved it damnit!

I felt a warm hand on my face which instantly got my attention. My eyes opened to the same eyes I had fallen in love with and I laughed.

It came out breathy and it was painful but in that moment all I could do was laugh.

Shawn stared at me with wide eyes, tears on his rosy cheeks. I've never seen him look at me like this. Like he was incredible pain.

"Why are you laughing?" He asked wiping the blood from my mouth. I couldn't feel anything my legs felt numb.

"It's j-just that our fate is so t-terrible." I said laughing again at the cruelty of my life.

A dark look crossed Shawn's face. Making his soft features hard. "No! Fate is ugly and a bitch! Don't think like that! You're going to be okay and you're going to find someone else-," I frowned. "-that will love you even more than I do! You understand! This is the last time you will be hurt! I promise you."

The bullet lodged in my spine said something different.

I smiled, my whole body becoming numb. I couldn't feel pain anymore and I was happy. My mate will live and find someone. What he wished for me is what will happen for him. I've accepted my part in this life. I now know what my purpose was. It was to get Shawn back so he could be the greatest Alpha. Although I would have preferred to stand beside him as his equal, but now I know I was never destined for that.

With a small sigh of content I grabbed Shawn's face and pulled him closer, wanting to feel his lips for the last time. Even though we were humans now, a spark tingled through my mouth, almost making me forget I was dying.

I pulled away when I couldn't stand the feeling anymore. It was making me want to stay even though I knew I couldn't anymore.

"No, Jen. Don't give me that look." I was staring at him memorizing his face, love clear on my face. "What look?" I asked with a lopsided grin on my face.

"Like you're about to die!" He cried in pain.

"Shawn, move your hand." A new voice came out of nowhere and it was now that I looked around my surroundings. Matt and Nathan were standing by my head, Zander by my feet and a whole crowd stood in the distant watching everything with pity clear on there faces.