Chapter 8: The Only One

JEN

My heart stopped as my eyes met the Grey wolf and his dark eyes.

What really unnerved me was the fact that my mate didn't look even remotely shocked, or out of breath.

Every single story that I heard as a child was of mates meeting each other for the first time. Both the man and the women's eyes meet and time literally stops for them. Sometimes they smell each other too. It's love at first sight/smell and this guy over here was starting to glare at me.

I scoffed when I noticed his eyes narrowing at me. More like hate at first sight.

On the outside, I looked fierce and I was even standing on my leg without the help of Michael but on the inside, I was beyond hurt. The one and only person made especially for me, hated me. He was supposed to look at me and wrap his arms around me and maybe even beat Michael up for standing too close to me. But then on the other hand I was glad because of the stories I had heard about him.

I stepped forward which was a mistake. Growls and snarls filled the air. I stepped back and bared my teeth. I may be outnumbered but I will not be disrespected.

The pain in my leg diminished as anger surged through my body.

My eyes met his dark eyes and I frowned. His behavior is odd. He's acting like I'm the enemy. Granted I was, but I was still his mate, he should have felt something right? But then I remembered what Michael said. A sharp pain went through my heart. He had already come to see me in my cell. He must have smelled me but, instead of protecting me, he laughed at my injured state?

I heard a sharp bark come from the gray wolf and saw all of the wolves transforming into their human form, clothing themselves.

I slowly watched as my mate changed into a human and the only thought that ran through my head was, Hubba-Hubba, this dude is freaking beautiful!

His light, almost blonde, brown hair glistened in the sun as did the sweat that rolled down his muscular, fit body. His square jaw tightened with determination as his pink plump lips pursed, making me want to kiss them.

Shivers ran down my body as I imagined his lips on my lips and his body in my arms.

I saw him shiver also but he quickly composed himself and had a fierce look on his face.

He suddenly sniffed the air and then smirked.

Curious, I sniffed the air also and then cringed. It was the smell of fear. I glanced at Michael to see him almost piss his pants.

He looked at me with big fearful eyes and said, "I can't do this! Look at those wolves! Their are at least a hundred of them and their are only two of us!"

What he said next made my mouth fall open. "I can't be on the losing side." He said looking at me apologetically.

"Excuse me?" I said still shocked. Did he just tell me that he can't be by my side? That he couldn't back me up?

He looked down in shame and then looked back up. "I'm sorry Jennifer, I want to live. It's not me, it's the size of your pack-" He then looked behind me and then back. "-which is nothing."

My mouth opened even wider as I realized he broke up with me, no, he broke up with my pack? What the fuck?! What happened to him staying behind to protect me?!

I watched as he turned his back to me and held up his hands as a surrender. He slowly made his way to the Alpha and begged for forgiveness and then pledged his life to him.

I slowly brought my hand into a fist. I could feel my nails breaking through skin as I tried to control myself. My eyes were shifting from human to animal as I refrained myself from killing Michael. I wanted to rip his head off.