Chapter 25: Hurt

The picture above is of Alexandra Daddario. Whenever I imagine Shawn's eyes, I think of this color.

🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹

JEN

I awoke to my stomach rumbling, smelling chicken in the air, but I didn't dare move as I clutched a pillow closer to my body, groaning because I wanted more sleep. My eyes shot open when I heard a small chuckle coming from my right.

Shawn was sitting in the chair I was before, eating a chicken that looked so succulent it made my mouth water.

Shawn smiled at me and I smiled back. "When did you get up?" I asked glad he looked better.

"Just about an hour ago." He looked clean too, like he showered. I frowned.

"Did you shower? I thought you couldn't because of your wound?" I got out of the bed, stretching my legs.

"Yeah, a nurse helped me." He shrugged and I couldn't help but feel the jealously bubble up inside me.

"A nurse? Huh. So, uh, what did she help you with?" I tried to ask casually as I made the bed.

"Just my clothes and waterproofing the stitches on my chest." He shrugged again, engrossed into stuffing his food in his mouth.

I narrowed my eyes at him and crossed my arms over my chest.

"So, you're my wife huh?" He asked catching me in surprise. He looked at me, one of his eyebrows raised as if accusing me of something.

I blushed under his gaze and broke eye contact, staring at the white floor of the room.

"They asked who I was and I told them you were my husband." This time I shrugged, playing it cool.

"Are you mad?" I asked in a small voice, hurt if he said yes.

"Come here." He said, patting the bed.

I sat across from him the little table of food in between us.

I looked away shyly, staring anywhere but his face.

He grabbed my chin, forcing me to look in his beautiful eyes and brought a spoon to my mouth.

I opened it willingly and tasted the mixed fruits, swallowing and then opening my mouth again. He fed me, much to my chagrin but it felt nice, being taken care of.

"Doesn't it feel like I wake up in a hospital a lot?" He asked chuckling.

I nodded in agreement. "I know tell me about it!" I exclaimed feeling happy that at least he was alive to feel this irritated.

When we finished eating, I sat up on the bed, making room for Shawn. He winced as he stood up but sat down next to me, his legs brushing against mine. I placed my head on his shoulder, feeling comfortable in this position. It was quiet for a minute before I broke it with my laughter.

"You know, when I was filling out your admissions form, I lied about your birthday! I mean how crazy is that! I love this guy to death and I don't even know his birthday!" I threw my hands in the air shaking my head at myself.

When he didn't say anything I looked at him getting captivated in his eyes. He was grinning ear to ear, looking at me like I said something amazing.

After about a minute of staring at each other, he finally spoke. "September 23rd." He said.

"Huh?" I asked still lost in his eyes.

"My birthday, it's the 23rd of September. I'm 26 years old. My full name is Shawn Nathaniel King. I am 6 feet and 3 inches. I don't have a favorite color but recently, I've started to like the color brown." I blushed when he looked at my eyes. My brown eyes. He watched my reaction as I took in the information.